Chapter Nine - Water balloons and feelings

Martyn winced as he took a deep breath, trying to calm the pain in his ribs and chest without drawing any attention to himself. He knew that this much pain wasn't normal and he should really go and check that nothing was seriously wrong, but he didn't think he could handle that right now. It was a close call with Cleo, what if someone saw him?

The zombie girl waved to him from across the patch of grass, calling him over as everyone gathered to listen to what the leaders had to say.

They had the option to do a few different activities for the rest of the day, some people going over to the craft tent and others back down to the lake.

"How is this so difficult?" Scar groaned, licking the small bit of blood welling up on his thumb.
"You're not doing it right," Grian muttered, pushing his own sewing project aside and taking Scar's hands in his smaller ones.
"Okay, your hands are all wrong, do it like this," He carefully threaded the needle into the fabric with his hands over the top of the brunette's.

Grian chuckled as he pulled back, watching Scar trying to focus. The brunette had his tounge sticking out slightly between his teeth and he was squinting hard at the fabric as he sewed wonky orange and blue lines into it. He looked silly. And... cute? Yeah, cute.

The avian blinked, realising he was probably stating at that point, and went back to his own sewing. He couldn't help but steal a glance at his friend every so often, assuming he was going unnoticed.

Meanwhile, down by the lake...

"JERK!!" Skizz yelled, ducking behind a tree as yet another water balloon was flung his way.
"Impy, we need reinforcements!" Tango giggled, throwing a yellow balloon at Pearl. The brunette girl laughed maniacally, taking her water gun from the ground and running after the netherborn.

BigB stayed back, tying water balloons and handing them to Cleo and Bdubs for them to throw. They all cheered as Cleo landed one square in Etho's face, causing him to make a weird screaming sound and retreat back to his teammates. Impulse grabbed his own water gun, and shooting at Bdubs from around a tree.

"ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT, TIMEOUT!!" Bdubs yelled, signalling a letter 'T' with his hand. He ducked behind the rock with the rest of his team.

"Impulse is their weak spot, right?" Pearl suggested, "He's got all their balloons and the water gun. If we get him enough that he has to dip out, maybe the whole teem will,"
"Good thinking!" Bdubs grinned. He popped his head up over the top of their rock, giving a thumbs up, the opposite team returning the gesture, signaling that they were ready for round two.

Team Cleo, as they'd taken to calling themselves, had held out long enough to get the win in the end. Now both teams were sat on picnic tables by the lake, drying off with towels.

"Ugh, my hair.." Bdubs grumbled, rubbing it furiously with his towel.
"It looks good like that," Etho teased, ruffling the brunette's still wet hair.
"HEY!" Bdubs grinned, playfully hitting Etho with his towel, only now noticing that he'd taken his shirt off while they were drying off. The shorter boy flushed, looking away. 'Don't be weird Bdubs, don't make this weird' He repeated over and over in his head.
'Oh, fuck it. He's hot and I'm allowed to think that.'

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
583 words above the line

Sorry about the shorter chapter this time around, but it was really fun to write and has a few important things for future chapters :D

Enjoy your day or night, get some sleep and stay hydrated!!

- Volpe