The one where things become a little too real

Max's Pov

"So, I talked to Tarla," Luke says from the chair he's sprawled on. I look up from across the room and the scotch I'm pouring

"What is it now?" I ask my Beta exasperated. We are currently in my study discussing pack matters.

I know he's about to say something to me about Calista, he's very casual about it but I know him well enough to recognise his tells. From the seemingly casual position to the overly casual manner with which he begins this particular conversation.

And I also know that ever since Tarla got back from the Ridgewell pack, and saw Calista’s condition she has been pissed and mean as hell, it stands to reason she would have told Luke, hoping my best friend would speak sense into me.

"When were you going to tell me?" He asks still maintaining the pose, which might have fooled an average observer, but only a wolf would recognize the set of his shoulders and the slight shifts in his scent from wolf to man.

The fact that it fluctuates at all is proof of the magnitude of his anger at me and the fact that he's toeing a fine line with control. A testament to his discipline through years of hard work and command.

"Never" I answer him simply. In a second, he is across the room, and in my face. He lets out a growl

"You move quickly, but not quickly enough," I say sarcastically, letting him come to terms with his predicament. He looks down then,  only to realize that I have him in a chokehold.

"She is our Luna" He growls, the eyes of his wolf, coming through.

"I am your Alpha," I growl back, letting my wolf speak through my voice. At the command in my voice, He instantly takes a step back and inclines his head to the left a little.

"She is your mate Max, and you've known that for years but, you have kept everyone in the dark, including her, why?" I turn away from him and take a swig from my drink.

"Cheers," I tell him sardonically and walk to my desk.

"Sit down Luke, we have pack matters to...." I don't finish, because my chest suddenly becomes tight. I meet Luke's concerned gaze.

"Calista" I gasp sprinting out of the room.

        ☆★★☆☆★★☆☆★★☆☆★★☆

Calista's pov

My eyes open and I sit up. I feel confused and disoriented. The first thing I notice is the bed. The thin, scratchy cotton blanket that I'm used to feels different. The one draped across my body feels comfy and soft

My vision clears. The blanket I'm clutching is red. Red, the colour of blood, fresh blood. My memories flood back with a vengeance. The accident, the argument my parents had, and the attack.

"Oh god, Oh god, Oh god" I mumble, tapping my body frantically trying to check for injuries. The frilly purple monstrosity of a nightgown I'm wearing hampers my movements.

"Shit" I scream, frustration colouring my voice. I grab the sleeves of the tug at it hard. It rips and I check my hand. Nothing. I gasp.

I'm looking at my hand and the skin is healed. If it wasn't for the thin silvery almost imperceptible bite marks, I would be sure it was a bad memory.

I check my chest and

"Nothing," I say, perplexed and more than a little freaked out of my mind. I look around the room I'm in. Slowly but surely, horror fills me as I look around the room I'm in.

I don't know where the hell I am, or why I am here instead of a hospital, or who brought me here. Panic threatens to blind me, but I push it aside and force myself to take in my surroundings.