The one where he meets her...... again

"I feel like you have an alternative reason for coming here. I mean, this isn't really your scene, " Elena says, looking up at me.

"Sometimes Elena, people do things that may suprise you."

"Not you, though, Max, you never surprise me. You're very much set in your ways. So tell me, are you here to see Tarla? or are you to see someone else entirely?"

"You know someone else might take offence with what you're insinuating. Tarla is my sister, and I love her."

"Yes, and I'm your baby cousin, I know you." She gives me a side hug.

"You're forgetting, Max, I was there three years ago." I look at her with raised eyebrows

"When you saw her for the first time. You were mesmerised, but I remember your...." She doesn't finish because someone bumps into me. The smell of lilies fills the air.

"Ouch", someone says from behind me. I turn around, and she is there. She stands there looking adorable in jean shorts, a cross bag, and a neon orange blouse with your move written in bold lettering.

"Hello Callie," I say to her

"Hi," She says, a little breathless. "How are you?" She asks me. Her eyes slide to Elena, and she takes a step backwards.

"Oh, I'm..... I'm sorry, " she says, backing away, and then she runs past us like a hell hound is on her tail. I call after her, but she just keeps running. I stand there genuinely confused when Elena bursts out laughing

"Well, that's a first." She says between breaths.

"What is?" I ask

"Normally, mates run toward each other, not away from each other."

"Elena, you're not really helping,"

"Right, right, I'm sorry." she says, but I'm staring off at Calista’s retreating form. She's so gods damned beautiful and also most likely oblivious to that fact. She doesn't notice the way people do a double take when she passes by them, especially stupid college boys watching her, and for that reason, I want to snap their stupid necks. Elena checks her watch beside me.

"I've got patrol in an hour. I have to go now." She says and gives me a hug.

"You should talk to her. You of all people deserve all the happiness in the world and from what I've seen, she too could use some happiness.You deserve it Max"

☆★★☆☆★★☆☆★★☆☆★★☆

Looking at Elena's retreating form, I decided to take her advice. When I first saw Calista 3 years ago, I knew instantly that she was my mate. It was like fate was laughing at me, of all days for Tarla and Elena to forget the group project they were working on, they chose that day. I drove to their school to get it to them after Elena's panicked call. It was a Monday and while I was waiting beside my car for any one of them to come and release me from my burden, a girl bumped into me. She was running, and when I reached out to steady her our gazes collided . I don't remember much after that, I only came to when Elena shoved a paper bag in my face ordering me to breathe.

There was only one thing going through my head-she was too young. She was only 16, at best, 17. So that day, I made a decision to keep my distance away from her.

A few months ago, however, my sister came to me with a file on her. I knew Elena must have told her and she begged me to at least look at the file. I didn't want to listen, I picked up the file to throw it into the bin, and her picture fluttered out.

She was wearing a tank top with a running shorts with some kind of monitor on her and she had the biggest smile on her face and my plan to stay away evaporated like mist

I walk into Calista’s class and I immediately see her sitting at the back of the class away from everyone.

"Hi" I say to her. She ignores me and looks pointedly ahead. I take a seat beside her.

"Callie?" I call, She still ignores me. I have to give it to her, she's a spitfire.

"You're not supposed to be here" she says still looking ahead.

"Sweetheart, I can be anywhere I like"

"That sounds eerily similar to what you said last time at the cafe". We sit in companionable silence for a few minutes. I have nothing to say so I say the only thing that comes to my mind.

"You remember, has anyone ever told you, you have really beautiful hair."

She turns to look at me "Does that honestly work?"

"Yes Calista, it works.

"You can't mean that" She says incredulously

"Why is that hard to believe?" I ask

"It's cliche".

"It's cliche for a reason Sweetheart, isn't it?" She looks at me and let's out a laugh. Heads turn our way but she doesn't notice .

"You know, When I was younger, I used to...."

"Younger"

"Yes sweetheart, younger, I didn't come out of the womb like this you know"

"It's just you look so.... big and brawny"

"I grew Callie" I say smiling

"It's kind of obvious, what are you 6'2, 6'3?"

"Are you asking me these questions because you want to know more about me, or you're simply curious ?" Calista startles

"Max, this has been fun, but I think you really have to go now, my class is about to begin".

"Is there a rule that says I can't be in here?"

"There isn't any rules about that, but I still think you should go".

"Is that what you want Calista?" For a moment I get scared that she'll say yes but she shakes her head. I smile " I need to here you say it Callie" I say. We stare at each other and I'm transfixed, the other sounds fade into the background but the moment is broken when she clears her throat.

"I want you to stay."

So I stay.