From Payoffs to Layoffs

Destiny bopped down the street towards the local diner in downtown college park. She was scheduled to work an eight hour shift that evening and was already running fifteen minutes late due to her missing the bus. When she turned the corner, she spotted her home girl Miya standing out front smoking.

" Oh hell no. Where have you been for the last couple of day's, 'miss thing?" Miya said when she saw Destiny approaching. She puffed her cigarette one more time before flicking it into the grass.

" Spent the weekend with my new boo " Destiny beamed

Miya rolled her eye's " Well, I hope it was worth it cause Steve instructed everyone to send you to his office if you showed up for your shift today"

"Girl, please. We both know he's sweet on me. His corny ass ain't about to do shit but ask me a thousand questions like he's my man or something." Destiny laughed before doing her best impersonation of Steve, causing them both to laugh even harder.

" Girl, You might be right but.... " Miya cautiously looked over her shoulder to make sure the coast was clear before she continued. "between me and you, the district managers have been all up in his shit lately. They were here today too. Steve's old ass shook."

" Are they still here?" Destiny asked, feeling a sudden sickness coming on. She wasn't for the shit today. She would play sick in a heartbeat before working an entire shift with the DM looking over her shoulder.

" Nah, they left about fifteen minutes ago. Shit was tense. I had to come out and calm my nerves" Miya stated as she smashed the cigarette with the bottom of her shoe.

Destiny excelled " Alright, well, I'm gonna go see what his old ass wants. Thanks for the heads up, girl. She said Destiny walked through the semi crowded restaurant, bypassing Steve's office. She didn't want to miss any more money, so she made sure to clock in before going to see what the boss wanted. " Destiny" Steve called from behind his desk in an unpleasant tone.

" Alright. I'll be there in a second, just let me put my things away" Destiny answered.

He leaned up from his seat " I need to see you now please" He said before plopping back down in his seat.

She sighed loudly.

This man was already on her last nerve and she'd just gotten there. Destiny quickly took off her jacket and hung it on the hook before strolling to his office. She leaned in the doorway, peeking in. Steve was sitting behind his desk typing away at the computer keys when he noticed her. As usual he was dressed professionally in a short sleeve button down shirt, black tie, black slacks and black dress shoes. The scent of his cheap cologne pierced through her nostrils long before she arrived. It always smelled that way. Destiny didn't know whether he'd put too much of it on or if it was just that strong. Whatever the reason, he needed to lay off of it a little, or better yet just throw the entire bottle away.

Destiny walked into the office and tried closing the door." You can leave that open" He instructed, causing Destiny to frown slightly. He wasn't usually this formal with her. So, Destiny was a bit thrown off by it. She eased down into the ragged chair In front of his desk. They looked at each other awkwardly. Steve looked as if he was trying to find the right words before speaking. It felt like minutes went by before either of them said anything. Finally he cleared his throat and said " Ms. Smith I know that you're a busy woman, so I won't take up too much of your time. I called you to my office today because your attendance has become a serious problem lately. It's starting to affect some of your coworkers. We've spoken to you about this a month ago yet you continue doing the same things"

" I'm sorry for being late today but the bus was running late. That's not my fault" Destiny lied. She'd missed the bus because she had gone out the night before. So, she spent the rest of the day catching up on sleep and ended up over doing it. It was most definitely her fault.