Gilbert shakes his head. "No thank you." He clasps his hands together. "And please, call me Gilbert."

"Is Uncle Gilby looking his smartest for his big exam today, baby bunny?" Sebastian appears behind us and brings Delly towards Gilbert's face.

"Good morning, Delly." Gilbert coos earning a scoff from Hazel.

"I'm sure Mr. Blythe doesn't need that baby
in his face when he's trying to eat!" She scolds Sebastian making him sit down. I reach for Delly and she leans toward me.

"Taste alright, Mr. Blythe?"

"Gilbert really is fine." He assures her, "And it's delicious."

"You sure you have a place to put all that food, Mr. Blythe?" Hazel inquires.

"Good news is, you won't be staying skinny long with my mother in town." Bash remarks making me snicker.

"Sebastian!" Hazel gasps. "I-I'm sure he didn't mean that. You look like a very strong young man."

"She should try building a fence with you." Bash gives Gilbert a teasing look. "Twig arms liable to snap picking up a pencil one day."

Hazel gives her son a disapproving look before pulling him into the hallway. I look to Gilbert who is scarfing down his breakfast.

"She's quite a character isn't she?" I remark.

"She's a good cook, that's for sure." I narrow my eyes at him. He catches my gaze and puts the spoon down. "But you're a much better cook."

"Are you being sincere or are you trying to avoid conflict?" I challenge him.

He says nothing and simple pecks me on the lips. A blush creeps up my face making me roll my eyes at him.

Gilbert's kiss leaves me momentarily flustered, the warm blush spreads across my cheeks as I glance down at my plate. Despite his attempt to distract me, his affectionate gesture only serves to deepen my admiration for him.

"I'll take that as a sincere compliment," I say, unable to hide the smile tugging at the corners of my lips. "But you still haven't answered my question."

Gilbert chuckles softly, his gaze softening as he reaches across the table to gently squeeze my hand. "I'll admit, a little bit of both," he confesses, his eyes twinkling with mischief. "But mostly sincere."

I shake my head in mock exasperation, unable to suppress a fond smile at his antics. "Well, I suppose I can't fault you for that," I concede, returning his affectionate gaze.

***

As we came to a stop in front of Diana's house, Gilbert and I stepped out onto the cobblestone path. The warm summer air greeted us with a light breeze.

"Thank you for escorting me, Gilbert," I said, offering him a grateful smile.

"My pleasure as always," he replied, returning my smile with a warm one of his own. "I'll see you later?"

I nodded, feeling a pang of sadness at the thought of parting ways with him. "Definitely. Good luck with your exams."

"Thank you," he said, reaching out to squeeze my hand briefly before turning to head back down the path.

Watching him go, I couldn't help but feel a swell of affection for him. Despite the challenges we had faced, our bond remained strong, and I knew that no matter where life took us, we would always find our way back to each other.

Turning towards Diana's house, I made my way up the path and knocked on the door. It swung open to reveal Aunt Jo standing in the doorway, a smile lighting up her face.

"Ada, dear!" she exclaimed. "It's so good to see you."

"It's good to see you too, Aunt Jo," I replied.

As I stepped into the cozy interior of Diana's home, and we headed towards the sitting room.

"You have arrived at the perfect time." She nods towards the sofa and I am shocked to find—

"Father! Alexander! Daphne!" I exclaimed, rushing forward to embrace each of them in turn.

"Hey, kiddo," Father laughs into my hair, his voice warm with affection as he returned my hug. "It's been too long. Well only a few short weeks but still."

"What are you doing here so early?"

"Well we thought we better get a head start on our wedding plans," Alexander says, giving me a fond pat on the back.

"And we wanted more time with you after your quick departure from Paris." Daphne teases as we greet one another.

"Well I am thrilled to see you all." I smile before turning my attention to Daphne. "Has everyone introduced themselves?"

"Yes. I've met your aunts, uncle, and your cousins." She smiles.

"We love her already." Aunt Eliza smiles. "I mean how could you not? Isn't she just radiant? So much grace and poise."

"You're too kind." Daphne giggles.

"I trust that you will be an excellent role model for my daughters. They plan to attend finishing school in Paris." I glance at Diana who is giving me a pleading look. I excuse myself and pull Diana aside.

"You know that you still have a chance to decide your own future right?" I whisper.

"Yes. But what if-"

"Quit thinking of all the bad that could come of this. Focus on your dreams." I hold her hands. "Don't let them control you any longer, Diana."

I watch as she battles against the thoughts in her mind. Before eventually she comes to a decision.

"It's worth a try isn't it?"