LIII

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Stubborn. An adjective. Meaning, unreasonably obstinate; obstinately unmoving
_________________________
(Until Wattpad fixes my problem, this is how the chapters will look.🤢)

"Ada, what are you doing?" Gilbert inquires as he walks into one of the back rooms at school.

I'm laying on the ground, my bottom is to the wall, and my legs are in the air. "Add this to your medical research, Blythe. Laying on the floor with your legs against a wall has several benefits. It reduces stress and fatigue, improves circulation, and it relieves back pain."

He gives me a questioning look before planting himself in a seat. "So which benefit are you pursuing?"

"All of them. I don't feel very well." I look back to my book, Persuasion.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" He asks.

I shake my head. "Not at the moment, Dr. Blythe. But thank you for asking." I smile up at him.

Miss Stacy enters in and plops down to read her newspaper. "Hello again, dear world." She looks to me and raises a brow. "Ada, are you alright?"

"Just improving my circulation." I smile before returning to my book.

"Medical research at The Sorbonne in Paris." Gilbert reads aloud. "Funny, Dr. Ward mentioned antitoxins last month."

"What's an antitoxin?" I ask.

"It's a new kind of preventative medicine. Seems to actually be working, from the look of it, even though Dr. Ward called it "nonsense." He says in a gruff tone.

"Most people have a hard time trusting new ideas. The Sorbonne is an excellent university." Miss Stacy says.

"And thousands of miles and dollars away." Gilbert sighs making me frown. I understand his struggles. Aunt Jo had to pay for all of my Paris endeavors.

"I know a doctor named Emily Oak who's doing similar work at the University of Toronto." Miss Stacy says making Anne, who just walked in, gasp.

"A female doctor?" She smiles. "How magnificent."

"Perhaps you could write to her, Gilbert." Miss Stacy suggests. "I expect she could guide you toward Canadian universities specializing in medical research."

He thinks for a second before nodding. "Thank you. I'll take you up on that."

"Oh, just look at these obituaries." Anne sighs as she reads the paper. "So many incredible lives. Reading these makes me wish my own parents
had been remembered the same way so I might've known something about them."

"I still have my mother's obituary. It described her perfectly." I sigh before a thought hits me. "Perhaps we should write an obituary for Mary in the Avonlea Gazette.

"For Delphine." Anne adds.

"That's a lovely idea." Miss Stacy exclaims.

"It is." Gilbert smiles sweetly. "We can ask Bash,
see what he thinks about it."

"Anne! You're on the board!" Diana runs in. "Charlie noticed you!" She says making Anne's jaw drop.