XLVII

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Carnation. A flower. Meaning, fascination, distinction and love. The love aspect of carnation meaning includes everything from a mother's devoted love to a suitor's passion for his bride.
_________________________

The warmth of the kitchen envelops us as Gilbert and I find ourselves engaged in small talk as I feed Delphine. "She's growing so fast," I muse.

Gilbert smiles, a mixture of joy and concern in his eyes. "Yeah, she is."

"Who do you think she will be more like?" I ask as I turn her over to burp her.

He shrugs. "I reckon that she will be caring like Mary, and silly like Bash. Looks wise—" He takes in a sharp breath. "Let's pray she doesn't take after her daddy." He grabs a ladle and scoops up his concoction he has made in the pot. He walks towards me and asks me to try a bite.

I oblige, blowing on it before taking the spoon into my mouth. The flavors dance on my tongue, though I can tell if it is good or not. Curious about the dish Gilbert concocted, I raise an eyebrow. "What's this creation you've whipped up, Blythe?"

He grins, a hint of pride in his expression. "It's my attempt at a breakfast casserole. I'm just trying to mix things up a bit."

"You made a casserole in a soup pot?" I ask making his eyes widen. I take another cautious bite, considering the flavors. "Not bad, but a pinch of salt might enhance the taste. And maybe a touch of herbs for some extra flair."

Gilbert nods, appreciating the feedback. "Good suggestions. I thought I better try something new since according to everyone I am an awful cook."

"You're not awful, Blythe." I stand up with Baby Della and pretend to make her say, "You're just not as good as Ada Wayda." I make her tiny fist hit his shoulder. He chuckles before grabbing her little hand.

"Thank you for your input, Delphine." He gives me a teasing look before grabbing her from me.

As we engage in casual conversation, the intensity of the argument from the next room lingers in the background. Our conversation takes a sudden turn as we overhear raised voices from the other room. Sebastian and Mary are in the midst of a heated argument about her son, Elijah. The weight of the situation hangs in the air, and Gilbert and I exchange knowing glances.

"I hate seeing them like this," Gilbert admits, his gaze fixed on the doorway. "Especially with everything that can happen."

I nod in agreement, my heart heavy with the shared burden of witnessing our friends facing the challenges brought on by Mary's illness. "It's hard on everyone. Sebastian is just trying to cope with everything, and Mary..."

We fall into a moment of contemplative silence, acknowledging the strain that Mary's sickness is placing on the entire household.

"It feels like everything is falling apart," I confess, my eyes returning to Delphine, who seems unaffected by the turmoil around her. "I'm glad you won't remember any of this, sweet pea."

Gilbert reaches over and gently brushes my shoulder. "It will all work out, somehow."

I muster a feeble smile, finding comfort in Gilbert's steady presence. "I know. It's just... overwhelming. I never anticipated things would unfold like this. I can't help but regret the time I spent in Paris, missing out on precious moments with Mary—"

"Ada, if Mary caught wind of your thoughts, she'd scold you into silence," he interrupts, offering a reassuring squeeze to my arm. "Make the most of the time you have left with her."