XXIX

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Hospitality. A noun, plural. Meaning, the quality or disposition of receiving and treating guests and strangers in a warm, friendly, generous way:
_________________________

"You were born on Christmas Day?" Sebastian asks as we approach Green Gables.

"Yes. My mother said I was the best gift she ever received." I smile proudly, tightening my grip on the cinnamon rolls I made for tonight's occasion.

"I bet you got a lot of gifts growing up." He comments making Gilbert elbow him.

I shake my head. "Not really. I never even had a birthday party." Sebastian hangs his head. "Don't feel bad! We would always fix a birthday cake and she'd let me decorate it however I wanted. Then she'd fix me my favorite dish and we would eat it out by the willow tree." I take a deep breath as I reminisce.

"I suppose it will be a little different this year without Simon and Alexander." Gilbert says.

I nod. "I suppose so."

We make it onto the Cuthbert's porch, Matthew opens the door shortly after. He freezes and stares blankly at Sebastian. We stand in silence for a few moments before Mariela moves Matthew out of the way. "Merry Christmas to you all!" She smiles.

"And to you." Gilbert shivers.

"Do come in." She nods at us and gives Matthew a scolding look.

"Hello, Marilla." I smile, taking off my scarf. "Matthew." He gives me a nod.

"Good to see you, Ada." Marilla ushers us into their sitting room, where we start to take off our coats. "Matthew, this is Sebastian."

"Pleased to meet you... Sebastian." They shake hands.

"Please, call me Bash." He smiles brightly. "Oh, what a lovely home. Nice and warm." He faces the fireplace.

"Let me take your coats." Marilla says before gathering our coats.

"I almost forgot." He holds out a jar of curry to her.

"My, how very kind of you." She smiles.

"It's curry."

"Curry?" She gives his a confused look.

"Yes, it's a blend of fantastic spices."

"Oh. Why, thank you." She takes it and my cinnamon rolls to the kitchen.

"It's good for stews." I insist.

"How nice. We eat a lot of stew here." Marilla says. "Oh. Won't you sit down?"

We thank her before heading to sit on the couch. I take a seat in between Bash and Gilbert. We sit in an awkward silence for a few minutes.

"Uh, I wonder what's become of Anne." Matthew speaks up.

"I'm looking forward to meeting Anne." Sebastian chimes in. "I've heard so much about her." He says, making us chuckle.

Footsteps approach and in walks Anne in a new blue dress with puff sleeves. She must be over the moon about those.

"You're Sebastian." She gazes at him as he stands to meet her. "Oh, how thrilling. I've read so much about the ancient kingdoms of Africa and the Moors of Spain, but I've never actually met a colored person before." My eyes widen and I bury my face in my hands. "Or not one of your complexion. Your skin is absolutely extraordinary. It-it's a rare pleasure to meet you."