XIV

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Confrontation. A noun. The act of confronting.
_________________________

The chill of the winter air nipped at my cheeks as I walked back from Gilbert's house. As I approached our farmhouse, a knot of tension tightened in my stomach, sensing that something awaited me within those familiar walls.

Upon entering, I found Alexander in the kitchen, his expression stern. He glanced up from the paper he was reading, his eyes probing mine.

"Nice to finally see you again."

"I apologize for my absence but Gilbert shouldn't be alone at this time." I reply as I take off my scarf and hat.

"Have you spoken to Gilbert?" he asked, the weight of responsibility evident in his voice.

I furrowed my brows, puzzled. "About what?"

"About us selling the farm and moving to Paris," he clarified, his tone sharp.

I sighed, the gravity of his words sinking in. "No, I haven't. I didn't think now was the right time with John's passing."

His eyes hardened. "Ada, there's never a right time for such news, but it needs to be done. You can't keep avoiding it."

"I'm not avoiding it!" I snap. "I'm trying to find a way out of it!" I whisper.

Before he could respond, the door creaked open, and Father entered. His weary eyes met mine, searching for answers.

"Afternoon, sweetheart." He nods at me. "How is Gilbert handling everything?" He goes to fix him some tea.

"He is grieving but he is doing better than most." I pick at the wood on the chair in front of me.

"And uh, how is he handing the move?" He asks making me go silent. He turns to me when I don't respond. "Ada, you have told Gilbert about the move correct?" he asked, echoing Alexander's concern.

I hesitated, struggling to find the right words. "No, not yet. I wanted to give him some time after losing his father. It didn't seem appropriate."

"I understand sweetheart but-"

Alexander slammed his hand on the table, his frustration evident. "Ada, we can't delay this any longer. It's our future, and we need to make decisions. You can't be thinking solely about Gilbert."

I felt the weight of their expectations pressing down on me. "I wish it were that simple, but it's not that simple. I have friends, family, and an education here."

"And you will have those in Paris." Father insists.

"It's not the same and you know it." I retort. "Grandpa doesn't even like me."

"Ada-"

"We owe it to Gilbert to handle this with care. Losing his father and then learning about us leaving, it's too much at once."

Father sighed, a mix of weariness and concern etched on his face. "Ada, I know it's difficult, but we can't put our lives on hold. These are tough times, and we have to do what's best for our family."

"Where did the money go, Dad?" I ask seriously since it's been eating at me for days. "Where is it?"

"I will not talk to a child about finances." Father raises his voice.

"I am fifteen years old and I'm more mature than both of you combined."

"You have until tomorrow evening to tell him." Father snaps. "We leave the first week of December."