XXIII

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~
Spin the bottle. A kissing party game
stereotypically played by teenagers...
_________________________

"Have you ever noticed what cheerful things brooks are?" Anne asks as us girls go to drop off our milk into the creek. "They're always laughing."

"I've never thought of them that way before." I smile as I watch the water slip between the rocks.

"How sweet!" Diana says.

Ruby, Tillie, and Jane greet us and we converse for a moment. We all bend down to make sure our milk bottles are secured. I panic when I hear the boys yelling. "Bloomies! Knickers!" I feel a hand touch the back of my dress and lift it up. I snap up and glare at the boys.

"You thought you could escape, Ada. But you can't outrun what's coming." His voice bounces off the walls in my mind.

"Keep your hands off!" Anne yells. Clearly as disturbed and aggravated as I am.

"Whoa. Calm down." Billy holds his hands up in defense.

"You mustn't mind them, Anne. They're just boys being boys. They love to torment our lives out."

"But they shouldn't be allowed to Diana. It's disgraceful!" I snap. "How could you be okay with that?"

"I have to disagree, Diana. I do mind. I mind a great deal." Anne gives me a look of understanding before yelling to the boys. "A skirt is not an invitation!"

"Are you two alright?" Diana asks.

"Oh I'm perfectly fine." I say sarcastically before stomping into the school house.

***

"Quiet, all of you. Settle down, everyone." Mr Phillips calls us to our seats. I'm far too angry to converse so I just listen to the girls conversations.

"I think Diana made a very convincing prince." Anne recalls yesterday's events.

"Me, too." Ruby nods.

"I was going for daring, dashing, and a little bit wicked." Diana shrugs proudly.

"Well, who needs real boys when we have Prince Wisteria?" Ruby says making them laugh.

"What are you talking about?" My head snaps over to see Josie Pye.

"Anne invited us over for an afternoon of parlor games." Ruby admits making me widen my eyes. Josie clearly wasn't invited.

"All of you?" She asks before scoffing. "Parlor games? Without boys? Fine for you. I'm far too mature for such childish amusements." She rolls her eyes before taking her seat.

I cross my arms as I stare at Mr. Phillips drone on and on about Camelot and rainbows or whatever the heck he is talking about.

I really wish Gilbert would come home already. It's been almost a year now and I miss him very much. Doesn't he miss Avonlea? I mean I know that education is also very important to him. I know he hates farming so he definitely wouldn't come back for that.

"Miss Smith." I snap out of my thoughts and look up to Mr. Phillips. "Do you know the answer?"

I panic as I look up at the board. I hate the smug look on his face. So I improvise.

"Je ne connais pas la réponse. Mais je sais que tu es un idiot mal élevé avec une horrible moustache." I give him a questioning look.

("I do not know the answer. But I know you're a poorly behaved idiot with a horrible mustache.")