Judging criteria for Poetry

Imagery and figurative language (max. 10 points)

Evaluate the use of vivid imagery, metaphor, simile, and other figurative language techniques to create evocative and memorable imagery.

Language and diction (max. 10 points)

Assess the choice and use of language, including vocabulary, wordplay, and linguistic devices, to convey meaning, mood, and tone effectively.

Emotional impact (max. 10 points)

Consider the emotional resonance of the poem, including its ability to evoke feelings such as joy, sadness, nostalgia, or awe in the reader.

Structure and form (max. 10 points)

Evaluate the poem's structure and form, including rhyme scheme, meter, stanzaic pattern, and overall organization, and how effectively it contributes to the poem's meaning and impact.

Sound and rhythm (max. 10 points)

Analyze the poem's sound qualities, such as rhythm, sound patterns, alliteration, and assonance, and how they enhance the musicality and flow of the poem.

Theme and message (max. 10 points)

Assess the clarity, depth, and relevance of the poem's theme or central message, and how effectively it engages with universal human experiences or societal issues.

Originality and creativity (max. 10 points)

Consider the uniqueness and inventiveness of the poem's ideas, imagery, and language, and how it pushes the boundaries of traditional poetic conventions.

Voice and perspective (max. 10 points)

Evaluate the authenticity and distinctiveness of the poet's voice or persona, and how effectively it conveys the poem's perspective, emotions, and insights.

Unity and cohesion (max. 10 points)

Assess the coherence and unity of the poem, including how well its various elements (imagery, language, theme, etc.) are integrated to create a cohesive whole.

Impact and memorability (max. 10 points)

Consider the lasting impression the poem leaves on the reader, its ability to linger in the mind, and how it resonates with the reader long after reading.

Overall points /100