ᑕᕼᗩᑭTEᖇ 38: TᕼᖇᑌTᕼᖴᑌᒪᒪY ᕼOᑎEᔕT

Start from the beginning

"I found myself back in the same place where I felt so alone, insignificant, and miserable. But, the last two months of my recovery were not as terrible, thanks to my mother," Elena confessed, causing Clover to raise an eyebrow in curiosity.

"Your mom? No way!" Clover exclaimed in utter disbelief. Elena let out another sigh and rose slowly from her seat, her thoughts drifting back to those challenging months in Romania.

"I know... it sounds like I'm making it up or trying to joke because she's never shown me anything but indifference! She was so distant and apathetic that I began to doubt if I was truly her daughter. Maybe I was adopted, and my parents were so fed up with me that they sent me away to another country!" Elena's voice quivered with aching sadness, a thought that had haunted her since childhood.

"But... something changed in my mom, Clover! She... she's treating me like she cares, like she loves me!" Elena's voice trembled as she spoke, prompting Clover to step closer to her friend. She gently grabbed Elena's shoulders and offered a reassuring smile.

"I'm genuinely surprised, but so happy to hear that she's treating you well, El! Sometimes, it takes a life-threatening moment to make someone appreciate the ones who truly matter to them," Clover said soothingly, rubbing Elena's arms gently. Elena smiled sincerely at her friend's words, a glimmer of hope shining in her eyes.

"I felt better than ever with her by my side! We bonded and reconnected so quickly, I was truly grateful for her presence. But then we returned home, and everything started to feel gloomy again," Elena shared, the light in her eyes fading in an instant.

"My father never called or flew to Romania to check on me! I just knew that everything that felt so good was going to shatter when I got back home," Elena expressed, her devastation palpable. Clover stood by, observing her friend as she navigated through a whirlwind of emotions in mere seconds after mentioning her father.

"The moment I saw his eyes, I couldn't stop my heart from bleeding," Elena sobbed, her knees buckling beneath her. She collapsed to the floor, and her friend rushed to her side, wrapping her in a comforting embrace.

"He wants me to settle down with someone he believes is the best option for me because he expects me to give him grandchildren within a year," Elena explained, her voice tinged with frustration and sadness.

"All because I have been as mad as a hatter to him," Elena sobbed harder against her friend's shoulder, her emotions pouring out. Clover was heartbroken by the raw display of emotion from Elena. She understood just how crucial her father's opinion and approval were for her friend.

"I'm so sorry, El. I'm so sorry," Clover's voice wavered as she comforted her friend through her heartbreaking sobs. Minutes passed, and the tears gradually subsided in Clover's embrace. Clover held on tight, determined to provide comfort. She gently guided Elena to sit on the couch, doing her best to calm her down. Suddenly, the buzzing sound of the intercom broke the silence, drawing their attention to the main door as the screen lit up with someone standing at the gate outside.

"I'll go see who it is, okay?" Clover whispered softly, planting a gentle kiss on Elena's forehead before heading towards the door. As she approached, she recognized Erica's face on the intercom screen.

"Oh, it's Erica!" Clover exclaimed, catching Elena's attention.

"What? She's here?" Elena asked anxiously, watching as Clover opened the gate for their friend.

"What's the matter?" Clover asked, bewildered by Elena's expression. Suddenly, the main door swung open, revealing Erica's smiling eyes as she greeted her friend Clover.

"Erica!" Clover exclaimed enthusiastically as she moved in for a hug. Erica returned the embrace, but her eyes quickly fell upon someone she was currently avoiding and didn't wish to engage with.