Chapter 18: Sherman's Chocolate Crunch

Mr. Peabody's humans love being shiny and clean. It makes them feel cheerful as they walk across the streets of New York City. Sherman often has the dirtiest work to do, but he likes to be clean as well as any other human. Washdowns are important to Sherman, but Mr. Peabody had bad news.

"Due to a water shortage," he said, "no humans shall have more than one washdown a day. Usefulness before cleanliness," he added, and left. Sherman was upset. "I get dirty," he complained. "I need washdowns. Antonio only does it to feel important." "I AM important," Antonio sniffed, "I'm an elite human being." "You're a pouty puffer, Sherman," teased Edith. "No, I'm not!" wheeshed Sherman, and he walked away.

Sherman was loading minecarts at the docks. He was trying hard to stay clean, but the minecarts were being naughty. As Sherman pushed them under the coal chute, they sang out. "On! On! On!" they cried. Sherman found himself under the coal chute, and coal dust flew everywhere! "Oh, no!" coughed Sherman. "I'm filthy!" Sherman felt awful, but he knew he had to carry on. On the way to the bakery, the minecarts teased Sherman even more. "Clickety-clack, don't look back, dirty Sherman's on our track." "Be quiet!" Sherman snapped.

When Sherman arrived at the bakery, he was very upset. "From now on, I am ONLY doing work where I won't get dirty." The Underdogs and the Four Townies were at the bakery, baking loaves of bread. "Hello, Sherman!" Mei Lee called. And she took off, blowing flour and baking powder everywhere. "Not again!" cried Sherman. "I want a washdown!" "Usefulness before cleanliness," reminded Penny. "I want to be useful where I can't get dirty!" Sherman demanded. "There's a load of sugar going to the chocolate factory," Penny said. "We can take the sugar cars." "Sugar," said Sherman, "that's nice and clean." Sherman was pleased.

Sherman didn't know that, earlier, a leaky minecart had spilled oil on the track. When he approached the chocolate factory, his girlfriend, Penny, applied the brakes. But Sherman's feet just skidded on the oily paths. "Oh, no!" hooted Sherman. CRASH! He crashed into the chocolate factory and got splattered all over with chocolate. "Yuck!" he groaned. "I've never been this dirty." He was covered, from head to feet, in sticky, gooey chocolate.

Back at the Time Force Headquarters, everybody thought it was very funny. "You look good enough to eat!" Margo hooted. "Bonbon Sherman!" teased Edith. "Choc-ice on feet!" chipped in Agnes. "Disgraceful!" said Antonio, pompously. "Ahem!" A stern-sounding voice was heard. It was Mr. Peabody. "You have had a trying day, Sherman." He said. "You know that?" "Yes, Mr. Peabody," replied Sherman, from beneath the chocolate. "But you've shown us all that usefulness does come before cleanliness. So," he added, "We shall get you your washdown..." "Oh, Mr. Peabody!" "...And a new set of clothes." Sherman just beamed!