chapter : seven

We hopped off of the bus and headed towards the front of the school, Lauren kept her head down as we walked.

"What's wrong?" I asked her, she shook her head. "Come on, you can tell me."

"It's stupid." she said, her head still hung low.

"Nothing you say is stupid Lauren." I assured her. Green eyes looked up at me, trying to figure out if I was being truthful.

"Can't you see them?" she asked me.

"See who?"

"Everyone. They're all staring at me." I looked around, she was right. Almost everyone we passed stared at Lauren, not in a good way either. I wondered what she'd done to deserve this, then I shook my head because that didn't matter, no one deserved this.

I linked my arm with hers. "Well then, they're staring at me too." she looked down at our arms and smiled and I smiled too, even bigger than she did, and happily skipped into the school.

That is until I bumped into someone.

"Watch where you're going!" he yelled.

"Sorry." I apologized, he turned around and I got a good look at him. He had brown hair, and really pretty eyes, he looked so cute and innocent.

"Fuck your apologies. No one bumps into me like that." he stared me down, I wanted to cower under his stare but somehow I didn't, I stood my ground and stared back at him. He pushed my shoulder and I faltered a bit, he was starting to piss me off. "Oh. Is someone getting mad?" he sneered.

"What the hell is your problem?!" I heard Lauren say.

"She speaks!" he announced, his attention off of me at the moment. "What happened to not talking? Finally made a little friend, don't think she won't ditch you eventually, you're nothing but a freak!" he spat.

"Leave her alone." I stared him down again, trying to get his attention off of her, it worked.

"You don't tell me what to do. I say we put you in your place," his little butt hole friends started laughing. "how's the lockers sound?"

Was he really going to stuff me in the lockers? What is this the eighties? He's a little behind on his bullying methods.

He grabbed me by the shoulders, dragging me to an open locker.

"Now," he said as he walked me. "if you're good I'll let you out after lunch."

"Asshole." I was seething by now.

"Uh uh uh, see now I'll have to let you out after school." he laughed. It was the most annoying sound I have ever heard.

"Oi!" I heard from behind us. "Get your wanking hands off of her." he immediately let go.

"What are you gonna do about it?" he asked.

"Quit being a douche Keaton. I don't have the time." Dinah walked up to me and threw her arm over my shoulder. "What's up CamEEla not CamiLLa? You little chihuahua you." I laughed as we walked off, then turned around when I realized we were missing someone.

"Lauren!" I yelled as she walked away, she stopped when she heard me, a glimmer of hope flashing across her face. "Come on." she ran up to us and Dinah threw her arm over her shoulder too.

"Hey." Dinah addressed her.

"H-hi." Lauren stuttered.

"Don't answer like that." Dinah laughed, "You have to be cool, say 'Wuttup?'"

"What is up?" Lauren attempted at cool. Dinah and I laughed at her attempt and Lauren's face burned.

"Maybe that'll be my thing?" Dinah said causing Lauren's face to burn even more.

"Yeah I think so." Lauren answered.

As we walked even more people stared, some in awe, some in anger. The stares didn't faze Dinah but you could tell they bugged Lauren. Her head hung low again.

"Lo." I said

"Mhhmm?" she answered.

"Pick your head up." Dinah looked between us and seemed to have caught on.

"Listen to her Lauren, you shouldn't feel so down." she looked up at the both of us and nodded.

"Okay." she put on a smile.

"As long as I'm around no one will have anything to say to you. Alright?" Dinah made sure Lauren was listening. "Cause who run these halls?" she asked her.

"Dinah does." she said.

"WHO run these halls?!" Dinah yelled, catching the attention of a few people. Not like she didn't already have the attention of our peers.

"Di-Nah does!!" Lauren yelled and all of us stared laughing.

"Damn right she does." Dinah said before the bell rang.

"What class do you have now?" Lauren asked her, surprising me.

"Geometry. Ugh I suck at it too. What about you?" she asked Lauren.

"We have honors English." Lauren and I shared our first class.

"Ooh. Smarty pants." she grinned then the late bell sounded. "Shit. I'll see you guys later." she waved goodbye and headed in the other direction.

"Oh my god." I said.

"What?" Lauren asked.

"It's not even lunch yet and you've already gotten Di-Nah to see how amazing you are." I explained.

"How do you know Di-Nah thinks I'm amazing?" Lauren asked.

"You guys talked! She said 'As long as I'm around no one will have anything to say to say to you.' meaning she's willing to stand up for you dude. Di-Nah digs you, can't deny it."

"Dinah does not dig me, and stop saying Di-Nah it's weird." she grabbed my arm. "We're already late, come on."

"You say Di-Nah too!!" I threw my other arm in the air.

"We are late Camz!! There is no time for arguing." she pulled me down the emptying hallway and finally through and open door.

"Ladies. Thanks for joining us." the teacher said once we walked in, our nosey classmates stared as they waited for him to yell at us. Luckily he didn't. "Take a seat."

We took two seats in the back, the teacher started going over the syllabus but my mind was elsewhere. We haven't even made it through a full period and the schools bully targeted me and the most popular girl in school wants Lauren and I the sit with her.

This is pretty different from how it was for me at my old school. I had friends but I wasn't popular, I had some drama but it wasn't too bad. I was in the middle, living a boring repetitive highschool life. So I think different is good so far, despite that douche Keaton. Asshole.

[Chapter Song: White Teeth Teens by Lorde]