Chapter 111 : Her Highness Samragni Draupadi

Start from the beginning

The Brahmins were whispering among themselves. They stand up.

"Samragni, how can this rule be reversed all in a sudden? Its been going on for years," one Brahmin says.

"Something that's been going on for years, doesn't mean that can't be changed. Brahmin Maharaj, women are the center of society. We are the mother, wife, sister, daughter, friend. We give birth to our husband's children. Do we have to indure such humiliation despite performing such important role?" Draupadi questions the Brahmins softly this time.

Draupadi turns to the husband, "Your wife makes your lifeless house a home. She birthed your son. She makes the food upto your liking. Provides you with love and care. That woman doesn't deserve this accusations you throw at her, you fool."

Brahmins were new to this idea but they understood Draupadi isn't lying or bluffing. It actually makes a lot of sense.

The husband looks at her sons wanting help.

"Samragni's words are absolute. No other decree will tell otherwise," Ptarivindhya announces.

Draupadi orders the soldiers to prepare the fire. The man was standing there wiping his sweat with a gloomy face gulping looking at the fire.

The fire was prepared.

"Go," Draupadi's voice booms.

The husband takes one step forward then takes 2 steps back. The heat of fire is overwhelming.  He can't even go near. How can he enter? What if he gets burned? He looks at the Upapandavas who sat on their throne nonchalant. 

"I am loyal to you and you know that," he says to his wife.

The wife turns her head away, "Apparently I don't know a lot about you."

The husband was shaking in fear. Going inside the fire? What nonsense!

He falls on his knees, "Forgive me, Samragni. I can't perform the task. My wife doesn't need to do it as well."

Draupadi looks at Yudhisthira who was looking the entire scenario stunned. He smiles finally.

Yudhisthira says, "If the heat terrified you so much, why did you push your wife to do that?"

"I learnt my mistake. Please give me the permission to go back to my home with my wife and son, Samrat," he says.

"Who said I want to go back?"

This time again the sabha was stunned because of the wife.

She looks at her husband tears flowing down. Her eyes filled with hurt.

"You humiliated me. Trampled my self respect and honor. On what basis our relationship stands now?" she asks.

"Forgive me, Padma. I was wrong. Please come back with me," the husband begs.

"I don't want to live with someone who doesn't think twice before questioning my character in front of the world. From today onwards I am not your wife," Padma announces.

"Padma, even your father is dead now. Where will you go? Our son is so small. Please throw out your anger," the husband pleads.

"This world is so big. I am sure I will get to live somewhere at least," saying that she leaves the sabha picking up her son.

"Wait," Padma already left the Palace grounds when someone called her.

A woman very beautiful. Decorated with simple jewelries and gorgeous clothes was panting for breath in front of her. She must be a princess, Padma concludes.