Chapter 98 : Past Surfaces Again

"Satanika," Sutasoma calls.

Satanika was in deep thought. He didn't hear his elder brother calling him. They have left Devapath and were riding the horse to arrive their army.

"Satanika," this time Sutasoma's voice was higher.

Satanika jolts in surprise, "Bhrata Soma...Sorry...what happened?"

Sutasoma sighs, "I have been calling you for so long. You were absentminded."

Satanika gives him a guilty smile, "Sorry Bhrata."

"This is not only today but also from a few months. After Maa left with Pitashree. You have made the least effort to connect with our fathers. Even when Pitashree Nakul tried to, you avoided him."

Satanika looks down guiltily not answering.

They camped in the forest for the night. Satanika lits the fire and both sat surrounding it.

"Listen," Soma calls.

Satanika sighs. He knows his brothers have noticed. Shrutakarma and Shrutasena has tried to talk to him about it, but he ignored them. He cannot do the same with his elder brothers.

"What is in your heart? Tell me my dear brother," Sutasoma asks softly.

Satanika sighs, "Bhrata, Maa has always told us forgiveness is good but not forgetting. But Maa forgot everything when Pitashree came. She embraced them like nothing happened."

"And the problem is?" Sutasoma presses the fact.

"Bhrata, I just can't look at them with respect anymore. It's not about me. We never had a father growing up so it doesn't matter me a bit. But what about Maa? Now when you go you will see them showering Maa with love, caring for her. Where was it before? Maa suffered so brutally with them. Pitashree Arjun married not one but thrice. Others also remarried. I am not a woman, but as a son I understand my Mother's pain. She lived with that for 20 years, Bhrata. Where was this love then?"

Sutasoma was silent throughout the outburst. Satanika is right.

"Bhrata Soma, I might sound crazy but I can't just see Maa embracing them back like nothing happened,"

Sutasoma was surprised. Satanika's eyes were burning like fire. He didn't know Satanika holds such deep hatred about the situation.

"Satanika listen," Sutasoma places his hand on his shoulder.

"Satanika, have faith in Maa. Though I won't deny I didn't had the same thoughts," Sutasoma says.

Surprised Satanika looks at his brother, "What do you mean, Bhrata Soma?"

"You remember when we were in Kailash, Mahadev said that despite he and Ganesh faught, they didn't turn into enemies,"

"I remember that," Satanika looks at his brother confused.

"That was a sign. Mahadev told us to leave the hard feelings towards our fathers. And if you look at them, they are remorseful, they have apologized to us countless of times. Pitashree Yudhisthir declared Jyest as his heir. The heir of Hastinapur,"

"We were never thirsty for the throne. Everything that we did was never because we wanted a kingdom," Satanika  argues.

"Of course we didn't. But it only proves that Pitashree Yudhisthir was sincere. I remember how he cried holding us to his chest. He was trembling, laughing in joy and overwhelmed with emotions," Sutasoma became nostalgic recalling that day of their wedding.

Satanika was quiet. He also knows his fathers are sincere. But his heart hasn't healed. He wishes he had the pure heart to forgive like his elder brothers. The only thing he can't forgive is how they treated his Maa.