Chapter 25:A Long show

I had to rush through, trying every possible string. How was it even convincible to finish the game in just 50 minutes? It seemed nearly impossible. As the levels grew more challenging, they mercilessly reduced the time limits.

The echo of another string reverberated through the speaker, halting the creature's pursuit of the boy. Instead, it turned its attention to Eagen, who, sensing an opportunity, swiftly devised a plan. As the sound filled the air, Eagen abandoned his equipment and readied himself to flee, clutching an array of shields in his hands, ready to hurl them at the oncoming demon.

Seizing the opportunity, I grabbed onto the demon's collar, even as it raced forward with incredible speed, and I found myself suspended in mid-air, one hand gripping the collar while the other waved wildly. With sheer determination, I somehow managed to leap onto the creature's back. As I began to test each string from 1 to 28, I became aware of another girl vying for a position on the creature's back. Instead of attempting to join me, she resorted to pulling at my leg, hindering rather than aiding our efforts.

As another guy started tugging at my other leg, the situation grew increasingly chaotic and unpleasant.

"Guys, let me handle this!" I shouted above the commotion.

One of them retorted sharply, "We can't afford to waste our entire fortune waiting for you. Get down this instant, or I'll make sure you regret it."

Ignoring the heated exchange, I remained focused on the strings, determined to find the solution. As I reached the fourth string, a sense of déjà vu washed over me—it sounded identical to the string I had encountered before. But before I could act, a searing pain shot through my foot. Startled, I looked to my right to see the girl there, wielding a hairpin like a weapon. She had stabbed it into my foot with brutal force, tearing through skin and causing me to collapse in agony. As I crumpled to the ground, Eagen rushed to my side, offering aid amidst the chaos of the other's violent struggle.

"Are you okay?" Eagen's concern was evident in his voice as he approached.

"Yeah," I replied, though the lie was transparent, given the blood flowing from my foot.

Eagen's expression tightened with worry. "I knew tensions would escalate. It's a testament to how deeply the fear of death influences us all," he remarked somberly.

As the speaker emitted the sound of another string, Eagen swiftly identified it. "It's a G string," he announced.

To my amazement, the creature changed its target, now pursuing a girl tagged with the letter G.

"How did you know?" I asked, stunned by his revelation.

Eagen explained calmly, "The speaker is responding to the strings it rings, guiding the creature to attack accordingly. That's why the rules stipulated that throughout the game, we'd be addressed by our string tags. This method of addressing was meant to communicate with the demon."

Indeed, Eagen's quick thinking and resourcefulness are truly commendable. It's always reassuring to have someone like him around in challenging situations. 

"Oh okay but I don't understand guitar and that is getting me down." I say feeling a sense of frustration at my lack of guitar knowledge.

Eagen nodded sympathetically, acknowledging the challenge. He then shifted his attention towards his own task, arranging his strings with purpose.

The gravity of the situation dawned on me. With only one string to my advantage which i found out was in the tab 4, and the others ranging from 1 to 28, the odds seemed insurmountable. To make matters worse, the chaos around us escalated, with the dogs(people as vigorous as street dogs having a quarrel) fiercely battling and the creature still posing a threat.

With a determined resolve, I attached the string labeled "4" to its corresponding tab and carefully tested another loose string against the bar, committing its sound to memory.

Amidst the chaos of people hurting, hitting, and pulling at each other, I searched for an opportune moment to leap onto the creature's back.

Just as I prepared to make my move, Eagen surged forward, deftly maneuvering past the turmoil and kicking aside the bystander to claim his place atop the demon.

Aware of the dwindling time, I remained vigilant, ready to follow Eagen's lead. When the bystander attempted to thwart his ascent, I swiftly intervened, delivering a sharp slap to dissuade further interference.