Chapter 18:A tiring break

We were all equally stunned, our minds racing with the implications of this harsh reality. The terror reflected in our eyes was unmistakable, a silent acknowledgment of the perilous journey that lay ahead.

"Keth, do something!" I shouted desperately, hoping for a swift response to the imminent danger.

"Everyone, come together in one place!" Keth's voice rang out, commanding unity amidst the chaos.

With unwavering determination, Keth encased us within a protective sphere, extending his hand outward to lure the bees, knowing they would perish upon stinging him. As the swarm descended upon us, the sky seemed to darken, the relentless buzzing filling the air. After the last bee fell silent, its venom spent, we cautiously emerged from our sanctuary and resumed our journey through the forest, grateful for Keth's sacrifice or rather say his duty.

"Let's take a break and replenish our energy with some food," Drake suggested, the weariness evident in his voice.

"Ella, could you prepare some food for us?" I asked gently, noticing her injuries had left her struggling to stand.

"Yea I guess" She said.

Ella's effort was evident as she spat and summoned berries and bananas with her unique ability, but her exhaustion was palpable. After her third attempt the spat yielded nothing, it became clear that she had reached her limit, unable to muster the strength to conjure more sustenance.

"I am sorry I can get us only this much"She said

"Eww that's gross, we are eating her spit." remarked Drake with disgust.

"It's okay, Ella. You've done more than enough," I reassured her, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Let's ration what we have and conserve our energy for the journey ahead."

"Can't you manage to get us muffins or bagels? Put in more effort. We're not going to give up, only to realize you've given up. We worked hard only to get this dull food? I don't understand how I ended up with a team like this," Keth exclaimed.

"Keth, either accept what we have or go hungry. She's already said she can't do it, so don't push her," I shouted, frustration boiling over.

To my surprise, we began eating, and I noticed that Keth had set aside his pride and joined us. It seemed he had realized there was little else we could do in the circumstances.

"Guys, it's been over 20 minutes since the announcement," Eagen stuttered.

It dawned on us that only those with the ability to hear could perceive the announcements. This realization added a layer of complexity to our situation, highlighting the importance of each team member's unique abilities.

"Alright, let's take a quick nap for 10 minutes and then leave at half past. Thirty minutes should be more than enough to reach the exit according to the map," I suggested, outlining our plan for the next phase of our journey.

"Stop pretending like you're the captain or something," Keth remarked.

"I'm not trying to act like I'm the captain," I responded, trying to diffuse the tension. "I'm just proposing a plan that makes sense based on what we know, moreover Everyone's exhausted. Once we take a break, we'll be able to move more efficiently and swiftly. Besides, it's nighttime, and navigating in the dark is challenging. Let's construct a shelter and rest. If you prefer, you can proceed alone without the support of the four of us," I asserted, my tone firm, making it clear that rest was a priority.

"Fine, let's pick up the pace. Tomato, make sure to notify us accurately when there are thirty minutes remaining on the timer," Keth instructed, his tone brisk as he emphasized the need for efficiency.

Still, I kept wondering about what's the point of using smell when the map already provides all the information we need? There's no need to rely on scent to find the exit when we already know its location.