Chapter 1: Lover

TW: Mentions of War

*****************************

"Clay! Are you listening?!"

Dream jumped in surprise, but regained his composure quickly. "Of course", he lied, putting on a serious face.

In reality, he had been dreaming about George. Ever since his confession, Dream had been drunk with love. It was so obvious that everyone around him had noticed, even Sam, the guard.

Well, almost everyone. His father had not, although he was probably getting suspicious, since Dream was always zoning out and thinking about how much he'd rather be with George.

The war was fully going. The preparations were over and Dream was leaving for the front soon, but all he could think about was George.

He loved him back! He was now officially... his lover. Oh, by Neptune... his lover!

Dream hadn't gotten any sleep the night after their meeting, simply because he had been screaming into his pillows out of pure joy. He loved him back! That feeling would probably never leave him, not in a million years. He was the luckiest siren in the ocean!

Everything would be alright, because George would be by his side. Dream felt like he could move mountains. Everything would be alright, because George loved him. Foolish thoughts, he was aware, but he couldn't help it.

Dream had never felt this way about anyone ever before. Sure, he had been dating some siren women, because his father had asked, or, well, ordered him to, but they had never made him feel anywhere close to this.

He felt like he was high on love. Especially since he had never had much love in his life, even the smallest amounts of it made him feel like he was in heaven.

His delusions, however, were quick to vanish as the king laid out a map of where the first battle would take place. The first battle between the merfolk and the sirens in centuries.

Dream clenched his fist under the table. He had done everything to stop this from happening and yet, it was. It felt like no matter what he did, nothing would ever change. It made him want to give up.

But he couldn't do that. Because his lover, the most important being in the whole ocean to him, was a merman - one of the people targeted by the side Dream was on in this war.