thirty-seven

Sarah's heart shattered

Sarah's heart shattered. The place wasn't nearly so stunning without Susannah's furniture. It was the same place. The disappointment was almost instantaneous as she recognised the same place without the familiar items.

She covered her mouth with her hand, trying to hold back a sob. Nothing remained except memories that brought corresponding pain, leaving her cold. The Summer House felt empty and devoid of its charm without Susannah.

Jeremiah, without a word, darted out of the living room and sprinted up the stairs. Sarah ran her hands through her hair, realizing the mistake they had made. She knew this was a significant loss in their fight, and all the fun they had would now be soured forever by this revelation.

Liam felt like his heart was ripped out of his chest as he grasped the situation. He looked at his younger sister and immediately wrapped his arms around Sarah, embracing her.

"Everything's gone." Jeremiah announced as he descended the stairs and entered the living room.

Everyone turned their heads towards the door that had just opened and closed. Aunt Julia walked into the kitchen as if nothing traumatic had happened.

"What the fuck, Julia?" Conrad shouted angrily, his voice cracking from the intense emotions running through his veins. He walked into the kitchen as the rest of the group joined him in the entryway.

"I'm sorry." Julia apologized. "This must be such a shock. I-I spoke to your father this afternoon, and-and he and I decided that it would be best not to drag this out any longer than necessary."

"I don't give a shit what the two of your decided on. You had no right to touch anything in this house. Those were her things." He spat furiously.

Steven quickly stepped forward and grabbed Conrad's arm in an attempt to calm him down. "Breathe, man. Okay?"

"Stop." Conrad said, ripping his arm out of Steven's grip.

"Everything's in storage. I made sure that everyone was very careful with every single thing." Julia informed as if it would make anything better. "I'm just doing what I have to do to sell this house."

"Bullshit." Conrad scoffed. "You could have said something. You could have warned us. All you want to do is fight our mum constantly-"

"Okay, enough!" Julia shouted, cutting him off. It seemed that his words had impacted her. "You're not the only one that's hurting here. And I'm not the one you should be angry with. Your mother could have warned you that this was going to happen. She just wanted to make me the bad guy, as usual."

"I'm so sorry that she was too busy dying to make your life a little easier." He snapped, glaring at his aunt in hatred. "You know, it sucks that our grandfather loved her more than you, but I'm not surprised."

Without another word Conrad walked off, leaving Julia to sit with her actions. He could have chosen his words better, but he's not wrong. The truth hurts. All of it hurts.