fifteen

AGE   11

AGE   11

The Summer House had a stack of CDs that they listened to, and that was pretty much it. They spent the whole summer listening to the same CDs. There were The Police, which Susannah put on in the morning; Bob Dylan, which she put on in the afternoon; and Billie Holiday, which she put on at dinner.

The nights were a free-for-all.

It was the funniest thing.

Jeremiah would put on his Chronic CD, and Jackie would be doing laundry, humming along, even though she hated gangster rap. Then Laurel might put on her Aretha Franklin CD, and Liam would sing all the words because they all knew them by that time; they'd heard it so much.

Sarah's favourite was Pop and the beach music. She would listen to it on Susannah's old Walkman when she tanned.

That night, Sarah put The Boogie Beach Shag CD on the big stereo in the living room, and Susannah grabbed Jeremiah and started to dance. He'd been playing poker with Steven, Conrad, Liam, Laurel and Jackie, who was very, very good at poker.

At first Jeremiah protested, but then he was dancing too. It was called the shag, and it was a 1960s kind of beach dance. Sarah watched them, Susannah throwing her head back and laughing, and Jeremiah twirling her around. Sarah wanted to dance too. Her feet positively itched to dance.

"Liam, dance with me." Sarah demanded, poking him with her big toe. She was lying down on the floor, on her stomach beside Belly, looking up at them.

"Yeah, right." He spoke. Not that he even knew how.

"Connie, dance with Sarah." Susannah urged; her face flushed as Jeremiah twirled her again.

Conrad sighed. He was still big on doing the right thing then. So, he gave Sarah his hand and pulled her up. She got to her feet shakily. He didn't let go of her hand.

"This is how you shag." He said, shuffling, his feet from side to side. "One-two-three, one-two-three, rock step."

It took Sarah a few tries to get it. It was harder than it looked, and she was nervous.

"Get on the beat." Steven said from the side-lines.

"Don't look so uptight, Sarah. It's a relaxed kind of dance." Jackie said from the couch.

Sarah tried to ignore them and looked only at Conrad.

"How did you learn this?" She asked him.

"My mum taught both of us." Conrad replied simply. Then he brought her in close and positioned her arms around his, so they stepped together, side by side. "This is called the cuddle."

"Let's do it again." She spoke.

Conrad showed her again, putting his arm over hers. "See? You're getting it now."