four

The group of teenagers had been driven back home by the police, which was not a good thing

Once they got home, Jackie glared at the teenagers, who were all huddled together in the hall while Laurel was talking to the police officers.

Sarah sat on the floor at Liam's feet while he stood beside Jeremiah. She anxiously picked at her fingernails, knowing they were in deep trouble this time.

"Officers, thank you. It won't happen again; I can promise you that much." Laurel said politely.

"Tell Mr Fisher the chief wants to set up a tee time when he gets back in town." One of the officers responded.

"Absolutely. Sorry again for the trouble." Laurel apologized, leading the police officers out of the house. "Have a good night, officers."

When the police were out of the Summer House, both Laurel and Jackie turned to face the teenagers, their nice demeanour instantly gone.

"How could you guys be so irresponsible?" Jackie demanded, throwing her hands up.

Liam sighed. "Mum, it wasn't a big deal. All right? Seriously. The cops were just looking to break up the bonfire."

"Not a big deal?" She asked.

"Yes."

"I would say getting picked up by the cops for underage drinking is a pretty big deal, Liam."

Steven sniffed and scoffed. "Were-were you guys... smoking tonight?"

"What?" The two mums questioned quickly, confirming their answer.

Sarah's eyes widened as she exchanged glances with her older brother before staring at their mother in disbelief.

"Keep your voice down. Susannah's asleep on the couch." Laurel told her son.

"Well, I wasn't yelling. Well, you-you-you were." Steven stuttered.

Jeremiah stepped forward. "Just so you know, Laurel, I-I didn't drink tonight. I was the DD, I swear."

Laurel then pointed towards Conrad. "You're the oldest. What the hell's gotten into you?" She then turned to her daughter. "And when did you leave the house without telling anybody? And what in the world are you wearing?"

"It's Taylor's. And why am I the only one who's not allowed to go out?" Belly questioned.

"It's not that you're not allowed, it's that you should have told us you were going. How did you even get there?"

"I walked." Belly whispered.

"Jesus." Laurel muttered in disbelief. "You know better than to walk that far down the beach alone at night."

"Can you stop treating me like a kid?!"

"If you want to be treated like an adult, you need to act like one."