twelve

The Fourth of July is the nation's birthday, but it is also a time for everyone to get together and mingle for hours on end

The Fourth of July is the nation's birthday, but it is also a time for everyone to get together and mingle for hours on end. Countless friends and family gather on the beach for barbeques, parties, watch the sun set and have an amazing night full of fireworks.

The Fourth of July in Cousins is all about traditions. Susannah decks out the whole house, the dads come up for the weekend, the boys steam clams and shoot off fireworks.

In the morning, Jeremiah, Belly and Sarah were sitting at the table in the kitchen, eating cereal for breakfast while everyone else was running around the Summer House, preparing for the Fourth of July party.

"Can I finish your milk, Sar Bear?" Jeremiah asked.

"Sure." Sarah replied and handed him the bowl of milk.

Sarah chuckled softly as she watched Jeremiah grab the bowl and tilt it into his mouth, drinking the milk. When he was done, he lowered the bowl to reveal a milk moustache just above his top lip.

"Yo, I'm gonna go wash the clams." Conrad spoke as he strolled into the kitchen. "Did you get the lighter fluid?"

Jeremiah nodded. "Mm. Yeah, it's already on the beach."

Conrad whistled lightly in response before he walked out of the house through the back door.

"Are we done with the portrait yet?" Steven wondered as he walked into the kitchen, towards the fridge, wearing a dark blue dress shirt.

"Yeah, for today." Susannah replied, following him into the kitchen. She walked over to the sink and cleaned her dirty paintbrushes. "But you do look good in a dress shirt, Steven." She looked up to face Belly. "Uh, which makes me think if Belly doesn't hurry up and ask Cam to that ball, you should take her."

"Ew. No way." Belly grimaced.

"No, no, no, yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm already going with Shayla." Steven informed.

"To the debutante ball?" Laurel asked as she walked into the kitchen, standing beside Susannah.

Steven nodded. "Yes."

"As an escort?"

"Wrap your head around it, Mum, all right? Shayla's coming today with Nicole and Gigi, so you'll meet her."

"That's wonderful." Susannah beamed. She looked up to face the teenage girls. "Oh, and don't forget, Ms. Convington's first dance rehearsal is tomorrow, so, uh, tick-tock both of you."

"I'm asking Cam today." Belly informed with a smile.

"I'll find someone." Sarah muttered hesitantly.

The debutante ball was almost here and it terrified Sarah.

The debutante ball is about a young woman making a formal entrance into society. Dating back to at least the 18th century, it was originally intended as an avenue through which to present young women eligible for marriage to prospective high-society partners.