twenty-one

Sarah's hands shook as the debutantes walked up the set of stairs

Sarah's hands shook as the debutantes walked up the set of stairs. One hand gripped a bouquet of red flowers while the other held up her dress, making it easier for her to walk and not trip over.

She was third in line which was better because it meant she had time to prepare herself. Reassuring herself that everything was going to be okay, and that Liam was going to help her if she needed it.

"Maya Richards, daughter of Julia and Scott Richards. Maya is a student at Kent Lake School. Maya raised $7,000 for the North Shore Animal League, the world's largest no-kill shelter and adoption agency."

Just like that, Sarah stood second in line. Her legs started to tap, and her chest felt like it was closing, as if someone was sitting on it.

The girl in front of her walked out, making Sarah inhale a deep breath.

"Gigi Boucheron, daughter of Richard and Cecily Bourcheron. Gigi is a student at Northfield Prep School. She's ranked at the state level in singles tennis and is a talented vocalist. She raised $4,000 for North Children's Hospital."

And then...

"Sarah Campbell, daughter of Jackie Campbell." Paige announced. Sarah put on a smile and walked out. She saw Liam standing there, making her nerves calm down a bit. "A student at Maspeth High School where she is captain of the debate team."

The siblings met in the middle, beneath the floral arch. Sarah clutched onto his arm for dear life.

"You look beautiful, Sar." Liam complimented.

Sarah scoffed. "You ever say that to me again, I'll throw up all over you."

The two walked out to get their picture taken, bathed in the spotlight, Sarah's smile radiating across the room.

She looked across the room and her eyes gazed over to the table where Jackie, Laurel, Susannah, John, Cleveland and Conrad sat.

Cleveland attended the deb ball as Laurel's date of sorts. He hired Conrad to teach him about boating as research for his next book and quickly became a mentor to Conrad and a summer fling for Laurel.

Conrad clapped gently when they announced her name. But when Sarah had stepped out, his jaw immediately dropped in shock. His heart instantly fluttered in his stomach, his heart pounding against his chest when he saw how beautiful she looked.

He couldn't help giving her a warm smile. Her dress was long as it pooled around her feet, it had a sequin pattern on the front that started from the top and went down to the bottom of the dress. She was holding herself different, somehow - or maybe it was merely the absence of the beach clothes.

She was also smiling - rather nervously.

"Sarah is also an avid swimmer, athlete and surfer, and this summer raised $5,000 for the county women's shelter." Paige added.