thirty-one

LAST SPRING

LAST SPRING

From the start, Sarah knew it wasn't going to be easy to get Conrad to go. He wasn't the prom kind of person. But the thing was, she didn't care. She just really wanted him to go with her, to be her date. It had been seven months since the first time they'd kissed, two months since the last time she had seen him, and one week since the last time he'd called.

Being a person's prom date is definable; it's a real thing. Sarah had this fantasy of prom in her head, what it would be like. How Conrad would look at her, how when they slow danced, he'd rest his hand on the small of her back. How they'd eat cheese fries at the diner after and watch the sunrise from the roof of his car.

Sarah had it all planned out, how it would go.

When she called Conrad that night, he sounded busy. But she forged ahead anyway.

"What are you doing the first weekend of April?" Sarah asked him, her voice trembling when she said the word 'April'. She was so nervous he'd say no. In fact, deep down she kind of expected him to.

"Why?" Conrad wondered warily.

"It's my prom."

Conrad sighed. "Sar, I hate dances."

"I know that. But it's my prom, and I really want to go, and I want you to come with me." She told him.

Why did he have to make everything so hard?

"I'm in college now." He reminded her. "I didn't even want to go to my own prom."

"Well, see, that's all the more reason for you to come to mine." She said lightly.

"Can't you just go with your friends?" He questioned. She was silent. "I'm sorry, I just don't feel like going. Finals are coming up, and it'll be hard for me to drive all the way down for one night."

So, he couldn't do this one thing for her, to make her happy. He didn't feel like it. Fine.

"That's okay." Sarah told him. "There's plenty of other guys I can go with. No problem."

Sarah could hear his mind working on the other end.

"Never mind. I'll take you." Conrad said at last.

"You know what? Don't even worry about it." Sarah said. "Cory Wheeler already asked me. I can tell him I changed my mind."

"Who the hell is Cory Wheeler?"

Sarah couldn't help but smile. She had him now. Or at least she thought she did.

"Cory Wheeler. He plays soccer. He's a good dancer. He's taller than you." Sarah replied.

"I guess you'll be able to wear heels." Conrad said.

"I guess I will."

Sarah hung up. Was it so much to ask him to be her prom date for one freaking night? And she had lied about Cory Wheeler; he hadn't asked her. But she knew he would, if she let him think she wanted him to.