fourteen

AGE   14

AGE 14

Sarah loved surfing. It was not just a hobby but a passion that made her feel weightless, floating across the water with speed. Surfing had always been a part of her life since Conrad taught her.

Paddling out to the blue word, drifting further away from the shore, she dipped under the white water to avoid the breaking waves. Once she passed a certain point, the breaking waves died down, and there was a steady rhythm to the water that made her feel at home.

The rise and fall motion lulled her into focus, drifting her mind from a whirlwind of uncertainty to the waves and her.

Inhaling deeply, filling her lungs with oxygen, she lunged into an aggressive paddle. The wave she eyed was quickly approaching behind her and she paddled faster. The more speed she gained, the more opportunity she had.

Feeling the water carrying her board form behind, she rose to her feet with more control than she had shown all day. It was graceful, smooth, and the powerful wave pushed her at full force towards the shore.

Soaring across the watery plain, the adrenaline and confidence she needed today surged through her.

Kicking the surfboard into the waves, adding more difficulty and technique to the run, she played with the wave, a game of give-and-take before the water caught up.

The white water caught up to her board, enclosing her. The tunnel began to form, threatening to pull her surfboard underwater with just one small mistake. The tunnel narrowed, and the vision of the shore grew smaller.

Taking a quick breath, Sarah crouched, trying to gain momentum.

Just before she thought it was too late, the surfboard caught its speed and darted out of the tunnel. The fresh air overwhelmed her as the wave died down and her surfboard rode gracefully towards the shore.

Applauses were heard from the shoreline.

"You're getting better!" Conrad hollered.

Sarah shook her head, cheeks flushed, but she couldn't avoid the smile that stretched across her face. She was secretly glad that someone witnessed it.

"Well, I did have a good teacher." Sarah teased, chuckling as she snatched her surfboard out of the water and wandered towards him. "How come you're down here?"

Conrad shrugged and took a seat on the sand, seemingly unfazed about getting his shorts dirty. Sarah sat next to him, both facing the now-setting sun, catching the entire horizon on fire in a blaze of colour.

"Just thought you would like some company." He replied.

"Wanna join me?" She suggested.

Conrad smiled. "Sure."

It wasn't long for Conrad to change into his bathing shorts and grab his surfboard before joining Sarah out in the water.

The two surfed more waves, making their own moves.