What are we?

Dedicated to Crystal30003

What if Episode 47 of Tere Bin had ended different?
_________________________

Murtasim Khan, the Khan of his people fell from the high to the lowest ground on the night of his sister's rukhsati. He parked his car near the river, and while walking out towards the waters his mind lamented all the sorrows he was trying to forget.The contract formed on trust, respect and promises were broken and he didn't know what was left in their relationship.

"Ya Khudaya!" His knees sunk to the ground, unable to bear the weight that his shoulders carried. "Show me a way out of this," he begged repeatedly at the faulty play of destiny in his married life.

In the Hyderabad mansion, Meerab Khan stared at her reflection in the mirror and the bed in disarray beside her. Tears streamed non-stop from her kajal smudged eyes. "Why did it happen to us? Why us, Ya rabb?" Her defeated sobs were witnessed by the walls of their room as she sunk to the floor in hysterics. "We lived through all the difficulties and overcame it eventually. But will I be able to forget this night?" She posed a question to herself in the absence of her husband in their room after the deafening destruction of their couple goals.

A few hours passed, the moon disappeared to have a rest and the sun shone brightly taking her place on the horizon. In the living hall of the Khan mansion, Maa Begum fumed at the maids and her naive daughter Haya, "Where is Murtasim and Meerab? One forgot that he had his sister's farewell yesterday while the other forgot she was the Khani of this house along with her duties along with i-" She was cut-off mid-sentence as her one and only son walked into the house in a disheveled appearance.

"The Khan is back finally? And where are you even coming from? Any plans today to visit your sister today because if I forgot she got wedded yesterday!" The taunt was clear, but was heard by deaf ears.

"I will go and freshen up. Then I will go, Ma." The reply came in a hoarse voice, as if it was forced. As Murtasim began to walk off, he was halted by his mother's words.

"Go and wake up your wife too. Inform her she has other duties here than sleeping and lying to everyone on their faces."

Murtasim shook his head in disapproval at his mother's sarcasm intended for his wife. If only she knew what kind of a betrayal her own son had done to his wife, He thought to himself as he walked towards his room unable to comprehend how to face Meerab after the previous night.

The door to the room creaked open, and Murtasim Khan walked in. The sight that greeted him broke his heart; Meerab was sleeping on the ground with her head leaning on the pillar of their bed. She was still in the festivity dress, but her demeanor screamed she was far away from enjoying the celebrations both mentally and physically. Bending down on his knees, he cupped her cheeks as his fingers wiped out the dried tears on her face. The eyes that he could stare into for his whole life showed the impression of a scattered dignity by the sign of the scattered and smudged mascara and kajal because of the tears she had shed.

"Forgive me if you can," he choked out as his own eyes shut tight and tears streamed down from them. A sudden jolt, and he opened his eyes to see an awake Meerab looking back at him. He looked into her eyes a second more, but he couldn't afterwards. Lowering his gaze down and withdrawing his hand from her face, Murtasim Khan patted his kameez straight in his knees. Clearing his throat, he said, "We need to go to Mariyam's house with breakfast as is the tradition. You, you can freshen up here. I will take a bath from Mariyam's room. But, be quick." As soon as he finished, he stood up and fetched his embroidered white Salwar kameez, and walked out of the room.

He exited and she stood up from the ground. "Is this how it's going to be from now on between us Murtasim? Won't we acknowledge what took place last night? Won't we talk about the heartbreak? Are we going to spend the rest of our life pretending that yesterday didn't happen?" She asked herself as another fresh stream of tears shed from her eyes. She walked to wards the wardrobe to pick up a dress for that day which she will adorn herself in after a bath that will free her from the activities of yesternight.