Humsafar

'What the hell?!' She shrieked in a moment's thought, with her hands in the air, looking gobsmacked in the brain.

'Kya huwa? Did you see an upside down zebra in your mirror or what?' He mocked, seeing her confused. Her eyebrows furrowing together, she nodded. 'Haan!'

He turned seriously towards her now.

'Meerab? Kya huwa yaar?'

'It's just..there's only two more months for 2024. I don't even remember when 2023 started Murtasim!' She complained as she placed the magazine on her hand on the bedside table and seated herself on her bed.

He thought for a second, staring at the wall in front of him.

'Sahi hai Yaar. Time is running like a flight, and we are living here, procrastinating,' he commented as he combed his hairs, standing in front of the mirror.

'And with 2024..comes our anniversary too,' she blurted out in a low voice so that he doesn't notice, but he heard her.

Looking back at her, he said,' Wedding anniversary of our failed marriage. Isn't it Meerab?' His tone contained a lot of emotions; one of sorrow, hurt and something else that she couldn't comprehend.

'We can't go on like this throughout our life Murtasim,' she said after a lot of pondering. 'We can't change our destiny. Why don't we try to make it work? Make us work?' She asked him, laying her thoughts and emotions in front of him.

He looked at her as if she was an alien.

'What?!' She glared at him.

'Make us work? Ask that to yourself Meerab. I am trying my best to make us work here. But when you don't put effort into it, it won't work until then. Relationships are a two way road, not a one way,' he walked towards her side of the bed, and leaned on the wall, his arms coming to rest on his chest. He didn't knew where she was leading the conversation, but he was excited. It was the first time Meerab was opening her heart to him, and he liked that.

Meerab looked down on the floor, as his words hit her like a truck. He was saying the truth. She raised her head, her eyes landing on a pair of eyes which were already staring back at her.

'Har insan ko ek hamsafar ki zaroorat hai, including us,' she tapped her fingers on the bed nervously.

'Only we are there for us. Fate brought us together and why do we have to compete with fate when we know we can't win him over? Let's…' she paused staring back at him.

' Let's work it out Murtasim. Atleast that way, both of us doesn't feel lonely in this zaalim world. Let's be companions to each other, sharing our worries, dreams, likes and like nots, desires and wishes with each other. So that when we need each other the most, we will be there for each other no matter what. So that we will become companions to each other in both good and bad times,' she concluded with a sigh.

Meerab stared at a Murtasim whose right hand had gone to caress his beard, entrancing her to the spot. She felt the sudden need to surrogate his hand with hers, winding through his black stubble that adorned his chin. She looked elsewhere as her eyes widened in realization of where her thoughts were going on, she looked left and right but not at him to put a stop to her train of thoughts that were turning wild by every minute.

'Wow,' he began with a smirk, 'You have such insight about relationships and life. And is this the same Meerab that I have been living with till yesterday?' He checked her out, trying to figure out what happened to his old Meerab, the naughty stubborn arrogant Meerab.

She rolled her eyes, 'I am being serious here and you are mocking me?'

He chuckled, 'Will you be able to do that Meerab? Will you be able to open yourself to me, share your feelings and thoughts with me, the man you consider your ill fate and enemy? Will you be able to take this path Meerab?' He asked her, his tone turning serious now.