Chapter 4

Leonor's POV

Cold, too damn cold and damp. My toes will fall off at this rhythm!

Looking over my shoulder I notice Roxanne and try to focus on making her disappear, maybe it's a dream and I'll control it? Nothing, of course nothing happened!

I can't help but laugh, we are in such deep shit and even if we survive whatever is happening we'll likely get called crazy and locked up in an asylum. I mean it was only a matter of time with how we tend to act around each other! Maybe mom was right and we just canceled out each other's common sense and neurons?

Something snaps me out of my thoughts, Roxy's now at my side locking her arm with mine and leaning in with the biggest smile out of nowhere. She's also kind of dragging me to walk faster in the snow almost making me trip over my own steps but her whispered words freeze my blood.

"There's an extra set of steps behind us...whoever it is imitates our pace to camouflage the sound"

Well ain't that great?!

I keep my arm locked with her arm even tighter, frowning in concentration, it doesn't take me long to notice the steps as well. Biting my tongue to stop the long list of swear words that threaten to slip my tongue I drag Roxanne to walk faster and in front of me.

Staying attentive in hopes of hearing the steps go away or walk in a certain pattern that would indicate it to be an animal... nothing that's a human and a big one at that but not a slow one that's for sure.

Clearing my throat I catch up with Roxanne and let out a fake giggle to get her attention leaning in to whisper.

"You remember the team up, fake routine we made up?"

If my memory doesn't fail me it's been at least 5 years since we made up that whole ideal attack plan one summer out of boredom after reading about too many badass female leads.

"You tackle and I finish off...if your tackle doesn't work it's knee to the groin or elbow to the chest depending on the gender"

Gods we'll be ridiculous if this doesn't work!

"If 'whoever that is' gets any closer we follow through, I don't care if they mean well, you don't follow two girls alone in the mountains."

But we're confident right?

Yeah, we're confident, at least I am in our abilities...well manage it's no use to just hope for the worst so you imagine the best outcome and that's it!

Of course it was all too good and a loud snapping sound brings me out of my thoughts, I forget we're not supposed to react and turn around.

My blood runs cold, he's far closer than we thought...The man, because that doesn't look like a bear to me, towers over both of us and I don't get a chance to even look at his face before he's reaching for me.