Chapter 20 - I'm Here

Sitting in my seat third period on Monday, I can't help my eyes darting to the door every time it opens, each time hoping it'll be Robert.

Eventually, he saunters in, throwing his jacket over the back of his seat and swiftly logging into his computer.

His suits are getting more eccentric; nobody else could pull off an aubergine waistcoat and matching pants like he can. His eyes flick up and the corners of his mouth curl upwards quickly when he sees me, making my stomach twist and my cheeks flush.

'Alright, my honey bunnies,' he calls out, clapping his hands together with a grin and walking around to the front. 'As you're well aware, winter tests are on Thursday so please take today's session to study. Buddy up, test each other, research, whatever works. I'm happy for you to stay in here or use the library - I'll be flitting between the two ensuring nobody slacks off. Okay? Off we go!'

The scraping of chairs and distant chatter fill the room as I look around at my friends in the hopes they want to stay here. 'Well, I think we should go to the library guys. So many more resources there for our study session!' April says cheerily, always more enthusiastic than the rest of us. My friends half heartedly agree and I disappointedly pick up my bag to follow them out and into the library.

I've been so desperate to see Robert all weekend and now that I'm in his class, I won't even be in the same room as him for the two hours I'd looked forward to. Sighing, we continue on and find an unoccupied table in the library, although it's nowhere near the medical journals. 'Alright, who's going to get the supplies cos it sure as hell ain't me,' Alex drawls.

'Not it!' the others shout in unison, grinning at me afterwards.

'What are we, 10?' I chime, amused.

'Sorry, Rem. The rules stipulate that the one who is too slow must serve those who were blessed with natural speed...' George jokes, arms up in a shrugging pose.

'Fine, I'll go,' I say, rolling my eyes.

'Thanks, Rem!' Lexi grins cheesily, and I get up to leave.

As I make my way over to the journals, I'm surprised that there's not more students around this part of the library since we're all supposed to be studying. I start fingering through the spines of the books, picking out a few that I know will be referenced in the test.

'Any recommendations?' a voice says from close behind me, and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I realize it's Robert. I turn to face him, not able to suppress the grin forming on my face.

'I think I should be the one asking you that,' I reply.

'Well, I'm no expert on these things, but I do know what I like...' he says, stepping closer to me.

I freeze and suck in a surprised breath at how swiftly he's closed the gap. He reaches to a shelf high up behind me, only inches between our bodies as he stretches up to grab a book. I can feel his breath on my face as he leans in and my heart pounds in my chest.

And just as quickly as he stepped forwards, I feel a waft of air as he moves back. 'Now this is a thrilling read,' he smirks, holding out a journal I haven't seen before. I take it from him and our fingers brush. My heart flutters as I step back from him, looking up at him through my lashes. He knows what he's doing.

''The use of stem cells for ACL repair.' Sounds... thrilling,' I say, still trying to focus.

'Yeah, the author is pretty good. His stuff... groundbreaking.' I turn the journal to the side to see the spine. Mouth dropping open a little, my head snaps up to look at him. 'Dr. Robert Downey Jr.?' I say in disbelief, eyeing him.