Cocoa Chronicles (Carter Kane) ✨ | ღ

I'm always happy to get a request from the Kane Chronicles or Magnus Chase so of course I would write this one! I hope y'all enjoy :)

Pairing: Carter Kane x gn!reader (platonic)
Request: Carter with a reader who always has a cup of hot cocoa in hand, no matter the situation nor season? This is my first time requesting to you guys specifically 😅 Also your fics are amazing!
Word count: 0.8k
Warnings: none! I dunno, reader drinks dia
ry-

-Asnyox

Ever since last summer, Carter had a new found suspicion of you. He knew you liked hot cocoa - the winter prior had consisted of so many cups of hot chocolate that Carter was almost considering staging an intervention for you. Almost. However, last summer he went on a quest with you, in the middle of the desert, and during your lunch break you took out a thermos from your bag, filled with hot cocoa. You offered him a cup, but he kindly refused and offered you a cooler beverage (you know, water) instead. Yet - later that day you encountered a bunch of monsters, and instead of having to fight them, you fed them your cocoa and they relented.

Ever since then, he had been paying closer attention to your cocoa habits. Indeed, you had hot chocolate on you at all times. At another point, a few weeks after the last quest, the two of you were stumped on a puzzle. As you do, you had gotten out your hot chocolate and you accidentally spilled some on the floor.

That led to a clue, as the beverage sank into some slits in the floor, revealing hieroglyphs. Carter, who seconds before would have scolded you for not being careful, instead appraised your hot cocoa. Carter considered whether your cocoa, or maybe even thermos, was magical, but maybe the inherent comfort of a hot cup of a beverage might just be magical enough.

And he was thankful for your seemingly endless stash of hot chocolate when both of you got caught up in a snowstorm. Luckily, this time you weren't on a quest, just simply locked in Brooklyn House, with everyone a little miffed that they couldn't go outside. You quickly jumped to the occasion, and started asking everyone if they wanted a hot chocolate. Carter offered to help you prepare - maybe he wanted to see whether you would simply pour all the cups out of your usual thermos. Sadly, you had put a pan on the stove, and grabbed different chocolates out of the cabinet. So, instead he decided to simply ask.

"What's the deal with you and hot chocolate?"
"You want my recipe?" you asked, fully prepared to explain all the steps.
"Uh- yeah that too but," Carter hesitated, "You're always drinking hot cocoa, like this summer you had it on you too!"
"Well what do I say," you smiled, "I just love the taste that it has! Plus hot chocolate always gives me comfort." Carter nodded in understanding.
"So no magical thermos?" He asked, "It's just your favorite drink?" You laughed.
"Why would my thermos be magical?" you shook your head, "It truly is just my favorite drink, Carter." you pondered for a moment, as you stirred the milk, "But if you do find a magical thermos, give it to me?" as you looked at him, Carter nodded. You smiled as you went back to explaining your recipe to Carter.

A little while later, the entirety of Brooklyn House was sitting together in front of the television, with a random movie on the screen.

A while later, you simply weren't having a good day. Got bad news, had too many things to do, bad nights sleep and the Brooklyn House was out of ingredients for chocolate milk. You really weren't feeling it anymore, and decided to just lock yourself in your room. You were scrolling on your phone, when there was a knock on your door.

"(Y/n)?" the voice of Carter came from the other side, "Can I come in?"
You sighed as you stood up, and opened the door for him. He smiled at you.
"Do you have a moment? I would like to show you something." He held out his hand, and you reluctantly grabbed it, as you then followed him.

He led you to the roof of Brooklyn house, where there were a bunch of pillows on the floor, and most importantly, two big, steaming cups of hot cocoa.

"I thought we were out of ingredients," was the first comment you made as you laid your eyes on the cups.
"We were, but I figured I would get you some," Carter shrugged, "Sadie mentioned you were looking rough today. This isn't much, but I hope it helps."

As you sat down, with Carter next to you, the last sunbeams of the evening warming you, you felt a little weight lift from your shoulders.

"It does, Carter, thank you." you sipped your hot chocolate, "You should've used more chocolate though, but it's a good attempt."
"I tried my best," Carter grumbled and you laughed.
"You're a good friend," you smiled, "Not yet a master hot drink maker though, but a good friend."