While it lasts - Walt Stone ✨ | ღ

Feb 14th, 2023

I feel like I should disclaim, just like the Anubis fic, that as long as y'all don't specify that it is Walt and Anubis I will treat them as being separate. Which, once again, has happened.

Also, first Walt fic! I think I might be getting the feel for him but I dunno.

Pairing: Walt Stone x gn!reader
Request: Can you write a fluffy Walt Stone [Kane Chronicles] x Reader oneshot, where they celebrate Valentine's Day together?
Word count: 1.1k
Warnings: mentions of Walt's curse, the implication of a tragedy-

-Asja

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks about Valentine's Day, this year it didn't even matter what your opinion was on the day. In light of your relationship, and the tied temporality to it, you were amendment on celebrating this day. You would have liked to be able to not think about Walt's curse, but since he told you it was haunting you too. Perhaps you wouldn't be able to fix it, maybe you would only have a set amount of time, but you refused to let the sorrows of this settle into your relationship. Which meant that even if Walt said he didn't necessarily care about Valentine's if you didn't, you wanted to spend every minute of it with him.

You refused to let Valentine's Day be one of your regrets if Walt passes. You refused to let the day in the year where you are supposed to love to pass unnoticed.

Which meant that you woke up next to your boyfriend, holding on to his waist as he, seemingly already awake, softly played with your fingers.

"Good morning, my charm." Walt greeted you, his voice warm.
"Morning, love." You greeted him back, slowly lifting your head, "How are you feeling today?" you asked as you looked at your boyfriend lovingly. Walter hummed as he closed his eyes, breathing in deeply.

"Better than yesterday," Walter opened his eyes, "I will manage whatever you have planned, I hope." You sat up, glaring at your boyfriend.

"Walt Stone, if you're in pain you do not have to do anything." A smile graced your face as you continued, "Besides, as the amazing significant other I am, I have made plans that can be converted to low effort alternatives." Walt sighed.
"But I don't want you to not have the Valentine's Day of your dreams, (Y/n)."
"Any Valentine's Day with you is of my dreams, love." You grinned, "So, inside or outside?"

"Inside then, please." Walt sat up too and cupped your cheek, "I love you, oh gracious significant other of mine." He whispered before he kissed you slowly.

───────────

You knew of the pains Walt had to go through on a daily basis, so you always tried your best to accommodate him whenever you could. So, for todays date you had planned things that you could either do outside of the house, or inside. This was something that you both early on in the relationship came to understand. If you wanted dates, you had to be prepared to take it slow whenever Walt was not feeling well.

However, Walt sometimes felt guilty for taking away the 'normal' experiences of a dating live you could have. If you did not check on him verbally, he would refuse to tell you when he was in pain and when he should take it slow. Even if you tried to reassure him that it is fine, he would still wish he could take you out more, have you see the world and pretend that everything is normal, even if it would be for a day.

Yet, as you held his hand to guide him towards your date, eager to show him what you prepared the day before his thoughts stilled. Walt only registered his beating heart, the melody of your voice and how much love he felt for you. As you let him into a new room, looking forward, Walt only looked at you, a soft smile on his face and adoration in his eyes.

"Here you go! Don't you think this looks great?" You asked, gesturing in front of you, before turning around to face your boyfriend.
"It does," Walt hummed, only having eyes for you.

"Let's sit down!" Only as you moved Walt to sit on the pillows on the floor, did he take in the room. You had transformed your bedroom into a picnic place. There was a blanket right next to your bed on the floor, a basket in the middle. Above your heads, you had strung some fairy lights, and Walt noticed that you even got vases with different types of wildflowers scattered around the room.

"It is our own private little paradise," you smiled as you sat down next to him, leaning against his shoulder carefully, "Now please, go ahead and start eating, after this we can sit on my bed and" you did quotation marks with your fingers, "go to the cinema!" Walt smiled, grabbing your hand and squeezing it.

"Can I first give you a present?" he asked, and you gasped.
"You got me a present? I didn't-" Walt but a finger to your lips in order to make you shut up.
"(Y/n), you did all of this, please just take the present." Walt softly begged you and you nodded. Walt slowly moved in to press a kiss on your lips before whispering a tiny 'Thank you'.

Walt quickly stood up and came back after barely a minute with a gift bag in his hand. After he sat down next to you, he handed you the bag wanting you to open it quickly. As you opened it, you revealed a charm on a necklace, clearly crafted by your talented boyfriend.

"What does it do?" You asked him, as you affixed the charm around your neck.
"It is a protective charm, and it is also supposed to bring good luck," Walt scratched his neck, "but I am unsure whether that one succeeded." Walt hesitated for a second, before he grabbed the charm hanging of your neck. He pressed a kiss on it, before looking you in the eye.
"I hope it protects you when I am not there to do so." Determination shone form his expression, yet the underlining message in his words was clear as day.

One day he might not be there to protect you. His curse will catch up to him, but until then he will cherish you.

It wasn't easy for Walt to think about the passage of time. He knew he was living on borrowed time, and his curse haunted him every day. But being with you made his life more bearable, it took away some of the endless suffering he went through and most importantly it grounded him.
Because if he was not going to life forever, or for long, he will make damn sure it was worth your time. Every minute with you brought and infinity of joy to him, and he wants to protect that forever, even if he would no longer be there.