Chapter 18 - Routine

Start from the beginning

'I was just wondering why you suddenly seem so... reluctant with me,' I say, leaning back in my chair nonchalantly, although I'm inwardly cheering myself on for my bolshiness. 'Care to share?' I add, smirking.

He purses his lips, a slight smirk still evident. 'Ah, you noticed,' he says, linking his hands together over his slender stomach. 'Well... I recently told this girl I really like that I have rather a lot of baggage... and although she said she's fine with it, I wanted to allow her a little more time to mull it over. With no... distractions... to sway her decision.' He looks at me pointedly as he says this, and I have to stop myself from laughing.

'Ah... you really like this girl, you say?' I tease, willing the heat in my cheeks not to show.

'I do,' he nods, his gaze never leaving mine. 'She's pretty great. I'm punching way above my league with her, to be honest.'

'I don't know about that...' I say, grin faltering as I know all too well that if anything, it's the opposite way around.

My attention is brought back to him as he rises from his chair, my eyes drawn to his shirt as it pulls a little over his solid torso. 'You see, these past two days haven't been easy.' He speaks confidently as he walks slowly around the desk towards my chair. I'm completely taken with him, unable to move, locked in his gaze. 'But it was only fair to allow you that space, Miss Boden. To really consider what you'd be getting yourself into. So, I ask you,' he rests both hands on either one of my armrests, propping himself up only inches away from my face, still smirking. 'Have you made your decision?' I nod slowly, swallowing thickly.

The closeness of him makes me weak and I'm sure I'd have fallen over had I not already been sitting down. His eyes are intense yet playful as he holds me under his gaze. 'Good,' he whispers as he closes the couple of inches that remain, crashing his lips to mine.

And before I can even think, I'm kissing him back. Lips softly pull on each other as his hands find my jaw, coming to rest on either side of my face. I run my hands up the taut muscles of his arms as I find my way to loop my arms around his neck. Needing more, my fingers grip his hair, pulling him closer and he steadies himself on the chair to stop himself from falling down onto me. That familiar groan vibrates from low in his throat as he obliges, seemingly needing this as much as I do.

I don't know how long we spend there, locked in a make-shift embrace, but when we're finally torn apart by the shrill ringing of my phone, I'm left breathless.

I answer it without thought, Robert still hovering over me, smirking with glazed eyes and wet lips.

'He-hello?' I stammer, mouth twitching up into a smile as I try to control myself under his gaze.

'Hey, sis, I'm in the car. You coming?' It's Rex.

'Uh... yep, I was just on my way,' I lie, holding my phone up with my shoulder as I pick up the bag from beside me with my free hand.

'Alright, see ya in a sec!' He hangs up, Robert standing upright with me as I rise from my chair. We're still so close and it takes everything in me not to pull him into me for round two.

'Well, I'm glad we cleared that up,' he grins playfully, bouncing a little on his feet as his hands return to his pockets.

'Definitely clear... yep,' I reply bashfully, popping the 'p'. I return his grin, fully aware that my whole face is flustered.

I'm falling so hard for him. Damn.

'I, uh... that was Rex so...'

He sighs. 'I know, I know. Leaving me all alone,' he says in mock despair, rolling his eyes playfully. I huff out a laugh, knowing that if I had a choice, I'd never leave.