SIXTEEN

C A R L I S I A N N

"Carlisiann, you look wonderful."

I heard a familiar voice that had my muscles tightening in discomfort and my lips forming a frown which displayed my displeasure clearly as I faced the person.

"Neil, I didn't realise you were invited," I confessed, now wishing I had a hand in choosing who could attend this event.

"I guess the council and I weren't wrong for being surprised when we received the invitation." He responded, taking a sip of his drink.

Neil was one of the many people on the council my grandmother had chosen to guide my father in the case she and my grandfather died during his reign.

Unfortunately, my father passed before he could choose who'd guide me when he died, so I was stuck with the council he was supposed to have. I had to say they weren't exactly a fan of me because of my decision to take the throne before getting married as my choice jeopardised my entire kingdom.

Each council member was in charge of a town in Sejlky, they were required to update me on everything happening within their assigned area and offer me solutions if there were any problems.

"Speaking of the council, is everyone here?" I questioned him and he gave me a nod that answered my query.

"Mhm, they're mingling." He answered as my eyes swept the place briefly, in search of them.

"You ought to join them, I have to find my fiancé," I announced, about to walk away but he stopped me by grabbing my arm.

"Don't mess this up Carlisiann. You have to get married very soon or Sejlky's climate will worsen."

"I have everything under control," I told him while removing his grip on my arm.

My response had his brows lifting with amusement.

"Including your little fling with your bodyguard?" Neil inquired and I crossed my arms as the frown on my eyebrows gained weight.

"Spying on me?" I retorted, causing a light laugh to escape him.

"You both don't make it very secret, I suggest you break it off before your in-laws and your fiancé find out." He instructed me, even though he knew I'd never listen to him.

My relationship with Ezra had been going on for more than four years, it was something that helped the time pass. I wasn't the type of person to sleep around because the possibility of me getting killed by a one-night stand was very high, so I preferred to use Ezra as an outlet for my sexual frustration since I could trust him.

"I don't take orders from you."

"It's for the best that you do, Carlisiann. If your affair with Ezra is discovered there is no telling what could happen."

"Ne—"

My words were interrupted by the sound of his voice.

"My love, is everything alright?"

I turned around to greet the orbs of my fiancé who stood with two glasses of what seemed to be Suli by the green colour it held, in his hands.

"Yes it is, where have you been sweetheart?"

"I was getting you a drink." He briefed me as he handed me one of the glasses before taking his place beside me with a hand on my lower back, and I had to fight the urge to tense at his cold touch.

"Aren't you going to introduce us, Carlisiann?" Neil questioned me with his attention completely on Amanté who was looking at me.

"Right...Amanté this is Neil, he is a part of my royal council." I responded and they immediately shook hands while offering each other fake smiles.