The Curse of Cornelious Sigan Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Your Highness, if I may request a moment alone," I said bowing respectfully.

"Cedric you can complete some other duty, thank you." Cedric left and I made sure he was gone. It was nighttime and I was hoping that a tired Arthur would be understanding.

"Arthur, why don't you trust Merlin? When has he ever lied to you."

"Merlin is constantly late and sometimes causes trouble. I'm just trying to do what's best for us. He seems tense so he could use some time off while I have another to fill in."

"May I ask you something?"

"Of course," he said lounging back on his chair.

"Do you see me as a friend or a subject?"

"Alex, you know I see you as a friend and I seek your advice."

"Do you see Merlin as a friend or as a subject?" He hesitated.

"A friend, but if I find out you told him that Alexandra, then you might have to muck out the horse stalls."

"You wouldn't," I teased.

"I would," he said standing up and moving towards me. "I care for you and Merlin even if I don't always show it. I try not to get too attached to people because it can be dangerous in the line of royalty."

"We care for you too, but if you don't let us in Arthur because of that excuse. You will never trust like your father. Merlin has sacrificed so much for your life and I know he would never betray you."

"And you?" he smugly questioned leaning against the table.

"I think you already know." Suddenly, we heard screeches followed by screams. The screeches sounded exactly like the raven in Morgana's dream. Arthur and I panicked. We dashed out of his chambers and he ran to the throne room to receive orders whereas I ran towards the jail cells. Merlin would be needed to destroy the greatest sorcerer that lived. I saw him pressed against the wall listening to the chaos outside.

"Merlin, Sigan is using Cedric's body," I used a simple spell that unlocked the cell door allowing Merlin to sneak out. We bolted down the palace steps to see the gargoyles from the statues come to life attacking villagers. "You find Cedric. I'll find Arthur," I planned as we split up. Arthur and his knights were in a triangle shape. Their spears fired upon the stone beast but did not harm it. All the previous creatures made of stone hated fire. I scanned the plaza for a torch and was unsuccessful. I dashed back inside the palace and grabbed the first torch insight. I ran outside to see Arthur get knocked down on the ground by the gargoyle's power. Most of his men were down except Leon. Another gargoyle flew from the sky its target: the prince. I dropped the torch. Instantly, I was at his side and grasped onto his arm. I dragged him away from his spot just in time. He stood up on his own.

"Alex,"

"Sire,"

"That thing could have killed you,"

"It still might," I screamed as I pushed Arthur back to the ground landing on top of him before nearly being picked up by the stone monster. I blushed at the fact that I was lying on top of the prince. "Sorry."

"No, no it's my pleasure," he joked in pain. I helped him to his feet. Leon joined us and I ordered him to get Arthur inside to safety.

"I won't leave you out here alone," the knight said. I wasn't in the mood to argue. Both knights would never know that I was more powerful than the both of them combined.

"Please," I pleaded, "I will be safe." I kissed his cheek as reassurance. He nodded taking the prince to the safe haven. I rushed back to the spot where I dropped the torch. My eyes flashed gold and the flame returned. I needed to find Merlin and put an end to this madness. My eyes flashed gold again as the wind picked up the fire and attached itself to the gargoyle in front of me. It yelped before melting. The air stiffened as if Cedric felt it too, but not Cedric, Sigan. I followed the screams of the villagers. I jumped in front of an old man trying to run away from the gargoyle. I waved the torch causing the flames to spread towards the creature. It flew back into the sky. Continuing this pattern, I tried to avoid the attacks on the citizens. The sound of chainmail clashing could be heard. I followed the noise to see that Arthur was back with reinforcements. He was too injured to fight. Leon was alongside him. I watched as he face scan his people that lay injured or dead. A gargoyle flew in between myself and the knights.

"Alex!" I heard him yell.

"Arthur, they hate fire, your swords are useless against it." I heard another knight yell. There are too many of them. Charging towards the monster in front of me, I whispered a spell. The flames got bigger at the creature's back causing it to screech and collapse. I was able to get on the same side and observed that the creature cut Arthur's face close to his eye. The knights began to regroup in the square. Arthur leaned on me for support as we tried to retreat. Again we faced another gargoyle putting an obstacle between the knights and us.

"Save yourselves. That's an order!" Arthur commanded. He readied himself for the creature's swinging arms. However, I pushed him away. He fell to the ground, which was my intent. It helped that he was injured. I mumbled another spell and watched the gargoyle join the fate of the others. Finally, I saw Merlin, but I also saw Cedric. I dragged the barely conscious Arthur under the protection of the covered walkway. My hand clung to my chest as blue dust crawled out of Cedric's mouth. It danced around Merlin's body and entered through his nose. My brother's foreign language could be heard. It seemed he got louder the closer it got. Suddenly, Merlin collapsed. I screamed as I ran over to him. His body was jerking slightly as if he was fighting Sigan inside. I watched Merlin's blue eyes turn black. Tears rolled down my eyes as I turned my brother on his side.

"Merlin," I called to him. A moment later his eyes returned to their normal blue and he had the heart crystal in his hand. "You did it!" I squealed pulling him in close.

"I did!"

"Now, I need your help bringing Arthur inside."

It was the morning after all the chaos and I was making one of Merlin's favorite meals.

"Now, I know it's not much of a thanks, but I sure hope it tastes like how mom used to make it," I said smiling at the dish proudly. I placed a dish in front of Merlin who returned my enthusiasm. Merlin shoveled a spoonful into his mouth and moaned.

"This is amazing!"

"I'm glad. You deserve it!" Gaius sat across from Merlin enjoying his dish too. There was a knock on the door. "Come in," I welcomed. It was Arthur. His face did not look too pleasant with the red scabs, but he was there in one piece.

"I'm looking for Merlin," he arrogantly stated, "I have not forgotten about your lazy, insolent ways, or the fact that you called me a clotpole," the prince exaggerated. Gaius and I stared at Merlin in disbelief. "But I do have to admit that there was some truth in your accusations against Cedric..."

Merlin interrupted him, "So does that mean on this occasion, you're admitting that I was actually right?"

Arthur paused letting his ego get in the way, "No, not exactly. It means that I have a knighthood to bestow first thing tomorrow and no one to clean my armor." He smiled revealing a huge sac he had hiding behind his back.

"All that?" Merlin annoyingly questioned as Arthur dumped the armor out on the table.

"Yep," he smugly replied as he left.

Gaius and I repeated at the same time, "Clotpole." The three of us laughed for the rest of the day at the fact that Merlin called the Prince of Camelot a clotpole.

Clotpole: a person with a thick head (syn. blockhead)