Le Morte D'Arthur Part 1

Alexandra's Point Of View:

As I trailed behind Gaius, we entered the magnificent Great Hall, where the nobles and royals had congregated. Earlier, Merlin recounted a story of a hunt gone wrong, where the group had been ambushed by a colossal creature that bore a resemblance to a lion and a snake, and tragically, not everyone had survived. Gaius stepped forward, providing a detailed explanation to the King, that the various features of the beast matched those of the legendary questing beast.

"Surely, that's a myth," the prince commented.

"According to the old books, the appearance of the questing beast is supposed to foreshadow a time of great upheaval," the physician warned.

"Gaius, that's an old wives' tale," The King taunted back. I looked to Gaius and I wanted to speak up, but I knew better. Uther would have me in the stocks for anything. 

"Look, this creature is causing a panic. The people fear it might enter the city," Arthur said.

"Then we must kill it quickly. Arthur gather the guards together because you ride at dawn," the King commanded. At a wave of his hand, we all left except Gaius. I know he wanted Uther to listen to his warnings, but Uther is a proud king. We returned to the physician's chambers. Merlin was playing around with a sword. His skill has gotten better, but it still wasn't good. I skimmed through the book Gaius left on the table. This creature was of the old religion. At the very heart of the old religion, lies life and death itself. The page read that the questing beast holds this power. 

"One bite, you die," I mumbled aloud. 

"What Alex?"

"The questing beast carries the power of death. One bite...you're dead. And there's no cure," I emphasized. Merlin and I now understood just how dangerous this mission was. 

The night was darker than usual, and the silence in the room was only interrupted by the muffled breathing of the two boys who had fallen asleep. But I, on the other hand, was wide-eyed, feeling restless and anxious. My mind was consumed by the thought of Merlin and Arthur leaving when danger awaited them outside. The monster's bite had no cure, and the fear of losing them was too much to bear. I reached for the glass of wine I had poured myself, hoping it would ease my nerves, but the fear was stronger. I didn't like the "me" Camelot brought out when life or death was on the line, which seemed to be often. The sound of a knock on the door startled me, and as I opened it, I found Gwen standing there, her face etched with worry.

"What's the matter, Gwen?"

"It's Morgana. She had another dream and she requested you immediately." We raced back to the ward's chambers. When I entered, she was pale and shaking. Instantly, I realized the threat this creature brought. 

"Gwen, leave us," Morgana directed. I watched the woman bow before making her leave for the night. The ward stared into my eyes. I held her hand and viewed the vision. The great dragon roared as Merlin screamed. Arthur and Merlin were running away in the forest. Then, Arthur was in a sweat on his bed. Almost dead. The questing beast with its cobra-like head, sharp venomous teeth, long skinny tongue, and haunting eyes appeared with a mighty screech. I held her close and felt her tears seep through my nightgown. She explained what she saw not knowing I already knew. My heart raced with this new terrifying vision of the future. This was going to happen and I would need to find a cure. "We must warn Arthur," she cried.

"Morgana, I will warn him. You need to calm down. He won't take your word if you are a panicked mess especially not in front of a crowd."

"Go, then to him, please," she pleaded. My heart sank. 

I warned Merlin of Morgana's vision when he awoke. We walked down to the courtyard together. Arthur had gathered the best knights in the realm. He turned in our direction always expecting Merlin to be late. I didn't want to convey my anxiousness to Arthur. I knew his fate, but if I told him it could change it. Honestly, the advantage will give me time to find a cure. I made a mental note to talk to Kilgharrah. I sat on the steps and listened to the prince give his encouragement speech. Then, the troop departed. Bolting through the halls and down the stone staircase, I called out to Kilgharrah.

"Nooooooo!" the dragon screamed, "You foolish girl. Arthur is doomed!"

Tears welled up in my eyes, "I thought Arthur couldn't know his future. I will find a fix. Arthur will live."

"The questing beast is of the old religion and only the old religion can save him."

"I'm willing to do anything," I pleaded.

"Anything?" he paused, "Find the ones who carry the power of life and death."

"Where?"

"Go to the place men call the Isle of the Blessed." I left and waited for Arthur to return. When they returned, Arthur was barely alive. He was placed on top of the workshop table which Merlin cleared. Gaius directed the knights to inform the King. Merlin was a mess and tears ran down his face as he tried many incantations. I packed a small bag and found an old map from a book. Hovering my hand over the page, I chanted a spell. Instantly, the image of the map appeared in my mind. 

"Where are you going?" Gaius asked.

"I'm getting a head start. I know how to heal Arthur, but it has to be magic." I turned and dashed out the door. I hopped on a horse and began my journey. I traveled through the vast lands. Finally, I arrived by a lake. There was a boat tied to the tiny dock. I sat down and inchanted the boat to take me to the destination I longed to go. I glanced up at the ruins of an old massive castle. I climbed through the archway and cautiously looked around. Tall stones surrounded an engraved casket. 

"Hello?"

"Hello, Alexandra," a female voice replied. My head snapped to the right and there stood a woman in a burgundy dress with brown braids in her hair. Her blue eyes were easily recognizable. 

"You," I laced with frustration.

"Do you know who I am?"

"Nimueh, you can't be who the dragon meant." I sighed.

"Why not?"

"You tried to kill my brother and instead poisoned me."

"Yes, but now I understand his importance, the Greatest Warlock to ever walk the Earth."

"And Arthur?"

"Arthur was never meant to die at my hand. And now it seems I will be his salvation."

"So you know what I've come to ask." She nodded. "I know there is a price and I'm willing to pay it. There is no cure only a trade."

She grinned, "You're smart. A life for a life. The balance in the world must be restored. So what price are you willing to pay?"

"My life for Arthur's. No one else involved."

She cackled, "How brave you are. Once you make this bargain, it can't be undone." She hovered her hand over the casket and a goblet appeared. The Cup of Life. "It has been blessed by centuries of powerful sorcerers, so it contains the very secret of life itself. If Arthur drinks water from this cup, he will live."

"Who dies?" suspicious of her motives.

"You, like you said 'my life for Arthur's. No one else involved.'" Her arms flung towards the sky and she yelled a spell. Dark clouds gathered in the sky, obscuring the sun and casting a grey hue over the land. Thunder rumbled in the distance, warning of the approaching storm. As I watched, cold droplets of rain began to fall from the heavens, landing inside the cup in my hand and filling it with water. I handed the cup to Nimueh so she could quickly pour the water from the cup into a sturdy flask, preparing it for safe travels. "The bargain is struck," she said with a hint of satisfaction in her voice. Despite the urgency to deliver the flask to Arthur, I was forced to make my way through the rain-soaked landscape. The journey home was hurried, with each step taken with purpose and determination. The weight of the flask in my hand reminded me of the importance of the mission and the consequences that would follow if I failed.