CHAPTER 27.

"I feared this was going to happen, I cannot believe it is actually happening" Theo grumbled as he watched Ashton fix her coat while staring at the mirror. It was finally the day of the engagement party, and Ashton was making sure she looks completely dashing in a red coat and bow tie.

She honestly did not expect that a day like this would come so suddenly, but ever since Isla told her that she did not mind the marriage, a permanent smile had been on her face.

Lord Herbert had already informed her father about it, and although father and the rest of the family could not make it to the party, Lord Arthur gave his full approval for the party to be carried out in his absence in exchange that the wedding be done in Mammon, and of course Lord Herbert agreed to that.

It took a few days for the party to be organized and for everything to be set. Invitations were sent out to every known person in St John's City. Lord Herbert and Lady Eliana were at their happiest, and every servant in the household was excited about the engagement.

Isla and Ashton's relationship was what surprised everyone the most. They actually spent quality time together, sometimes they sat in the veranda having tea, talking and laughing. Lord Herbert had seen them several times and he could not express his happiness.

On other occasion, they were found playing a game of chess in the living room and Theodore was a witness to how Ashton always allowed Isla to have the victory even though she was incredibly bad at chess. Theo had of course cringed severally in disgust at the way Ashton always stared at Isla; it was like Isla was an angel he worships. Anyone could tell that Theodore's friend was far gone, there was no way back for Ashton. Isla had completely bewitched him.

Isla on the other hand was enjoying her time with Ashton. She had no idea that Ashton would be so sweet. If sugar was a person, it would definitely be Ashton. The little things she did for Isla were what made her heart flutter. Ashton may think she does not notice, but she always does. It was way too obvious when he lets her win the chess game, and also when he lets her have his own share of sweet corn at breakfast.

Even Isla's parent had never noticed what she likes and dislike. They barely even have time for her, but Ashton treated her like she lived just to please Isla. Isla was certain that there was not a human being like Ashton.

She was falling with love with her, but she was not ready to admit that, not even to herself. It felt too soon.

After Ashton was fully dressed, she left her room with Theodore following beside her. The Herbert party hall was already filled up with so many elegantly dressed guests. Servants moved about with trays of drinks in their hands, and there was slow music all over the place.

"Wow there is so many people. I have never seen this place so lively" Theodore exclaimed in awe.

Ashton smiled as he stared at the crowd of guest. All these people were going to be a witness to her engagement with Isla and to the fact that Isla chose Ashton. Out of everyone in the world, Isla chose Ashton as hers.

For some reason, maybe it was jealousy; Ashton hoped Lucas would be present so he would see that he can never have Isla. Isla was hers now.

"Ashton my boy," Lord Herbert joined them with a drink in hand. He had dropped all formalities after preparations for the party began and he insisted that Ashton call him father.

"Yes father?" Ashton said smiling shyly. She was still getting used to his extreme warmth, one she never received from her own father.

"I see you are fully prepared for this day. You look every bit of a worthy man for my Isla." He praised.

Ashton blushed slightly feeling flustered at the compliment. She did not think herself worthy man, or woman rather for Isla, but she would try to be worthy of her. She did not voice out her disagreement and instead said "thank you father"