Chapter 6

Act One

After the video with Cross and Valentino ended, Sera took her leave, with Lute who followed after her.

"Why didn't he just kill that demon!? Cross has never hesitated before and because of that the demon committed suicide an likely took Cross with him!" Lute yelled as Sera and her flew above the city, heading to the orchard that existed outside the city.

"That wasn't hesitation," Sera said as her eyes were narrowed and concerned.

"What do you mean? It had to be hesitation because who in their right mind wouldn't kill that demon!?" Sera noted Lute's anger as the two landed outside the orchard.

"I can think of someone that could give Cross that order. Guard the orchard, don't let anyone in." Sera ordered Lute as she sighed and stood at attention at the entrance. Sera walked inside as her eyes observed the orchard, looking to find a specific Seraphim she knew liked to come here. Eventually, she spotted Emily who rested under a tree, reading a book with a smile on her face. Sera approached and when Emily could see her out of the corner of her vision, she stood up and closed her book.

"Hi, Sera! Pentious left a while ago to go do some shopping! How did the meeting go?" She asked joyfully.

"The meeting went fine, that is until we checked on Cross. Emily, when I told you Cross was leaving for a mission and you said you had to tell him something, what was it that you had to tell him?" Sera questioned as her gaze was soft but held disappointment in them.

"Uh...I...I told him that...uhm..." Emily looked down sheepishly, her fingertips pressing against each other as it was obvious she knew something.

"EMILY! SPIT IT OUT!" Sera's tone became raised for the first time in a while which startled Emily. Her expression had changed as well as it was no longer soft but tight.

"I...ordered him...not to kill...anyone..." Emily muttered as Sera's eyes widened.

"No, no you didn't. Why!? Why would you order him to do that!? Emily!" Sera was upset at Emily, and she could tell, but she wasn't going to back down.

"Sera! There's been more than enough blood spilt already! Why does more have to be shed in order to achieve our goals!?" Emily responded, now her turn to be upset.

"Emily, you have no idea what Cross has just been through down in Hell! There's a chance he could be seriously wounded because of that order you gave him! During our observation of Cross, he was fighting a demon that if he was allowed to kill it, the fight would have ended so much quicker! But no! Now because of your order, we don't know the state he's in!" Sera explained.

"What? How? What happened!?" Emily asked, with worry filling her voice.

"The demon he was fighting? It blew up, killing itself and possibly injuring or even killing Cross! He's one of our top agents Emily! His connections and knowledge of the Pride ring make him indispensable! Your order could have gotten him killed!" Sera raised her palm to her forehead as Emily's eyes teared up and she looked down at the ground.

"Violence can't be the only answer..." Emily said softly as Sera sighed and wrapped her arms around the smaller Seraphim. They hugged for a moment as Sera swayed side to side with her.

"There are ways, but Emily, some demons only understand violence. To them, it's everything. But you and I now know, even a demon gets a second chance." Sera said softly as Emily nodded. Sera eventually let Emily go as she wiped her tears from her face.