Cassedee rolled her eyes. "You aren't fine." she said and kept plotting at the wound.

James nudged her off and pulled away– batted at her hand.

She stopped dabbing and gave him a blank stare.

"Stop being a baby and let me take care of you." She grinned at him and shook her head. James couldn't tell if she was being sarcastic or just messing with him.

James wanted to tell her how he felt but something was holding him back and he wasn't sure what. Fear of rejection? Friendzone? He could feel the butterflies fluttering in his stomach. His hands were clammy. He should tell her. This could be their last time together.

Alive.

He took a deep breath. He could feel his heart pounding faster as he tried to muster up the words. He didn't know what to say exactly. How to phrase it correctly. James calculated the risks and weighed the options. If he told her how he felt, it could ruin the friendship.

If he told her how he felt, it could be something more.

She was so beautiful. Her light brown hair was almost blonde in the light. Her hazel eyes shined against the coldness of where they were. Her lips perfectly formed at the edges and her eyebrows now furrowed in concentration.

What if he did? He reached up slowly and touched her face with his hand.

She looked at him quizzically. "What are you doing?" She asked.

James' face flushed. He could feel his cheeks getting hot.

He took his thumb and wiped away the dirt that was resting on her cheek. Her face was soft and delicate. James didn't want to ruin this beauty even more.

"This was on your cheek, Cass."

She looked down at his thumb and smiled a little.

"Oh..." she chuckled. "Thanks."

She smirked again and shook her head.

"What?" He asked.

"Nothing."

She hesitated.

"I could've wiped it off. You could've told me about the smudge."

James shrugged. "I guess."

Cassedee smiled. "You guess, huh?" She lightly punched his arm.

"Yeah, I guess." he said back mocking her tone and grinned.

"You're such a dork, you know that." She said playfully. James now realized that she knew. She knew he liked her. He paused, unsure of what to say next.

"And where's Emily?" She whirled around and stopped when she got about halfway around.

Emily was tucked in the corner, crouched under a pipe. Her hair was still perfectly in an updo. James didn't know what to call it. It looked like a high bun but it was twisted up in a knot. Her dress was not torn. Not even a little. No dirt smudged on her face. She had been untouchable against the most vile and evil creature to exist.

James didn't know what to do. Should he go over there? Should he introduce himself? What if this was evil Emily? He looked around wildly trying to find any safe space to duck for cover. Just in case.

James winced as the wound on his head still throbbed. He got up cautiously and glanced down at Cassedee. She was pleading with him not to go over there.

"What are you doing, James?" Her voice was low, barely a whisper. Just leave her alone. Think of what she did to us out there. Think of who she is working with."

James considered this. She did have a point but something about this Emily was different. Something was pure. James sensed it.

Cassedee glanced over at Emily and hesitated. She pleaded with James but he shook his head.

"Something's different about her. I can tell. I don't know what but I can sense it."

She looked up at him, her eyes wide. "What if you're wrong?"

He sighed and grabbed her shoulders. "I'm not," he said sternly.

She nodded, knowing now that there was no convincing him.

James straightened himself out and squared his shoulders. He was ready to face whatever this thing threw at him.

He calmly walked over to her. He could feel his heart speed up faster and his palms were starting to sweat. He tried to remain as collected as possible. But it was impossible.

James carefully walked over to Emily and reached out a hand. He placed it on her shoulder and nudged her. She groaned and woke up startled. Revealing her face.

She had on red lipstick and blue eyeshadow. Her eyebrows perfectly shaped and her nose was small and round. Her light brown hair was parted off to the sides and curled. She had pearl earrings in and white evening gloves. A ring was on her finger. James didn't remember seeing that before.

He knelt down and began talking to her softly.

"Excuse me, Emily?" he said quietly.

Suddenly, she looked up and tears were in her eyes. "Why do you have my daughter?" She glanced over at Cassedee who was staring back too.

James looked at her–he could feel his eyebrows furrow together. He could feel his heart drop.

"What?" He said.

She suddenly lunged out and grabbed him by the shoulders.

"She's been missing for over twenty years!" She paused. "Her and her friends, that young gentlemen...James!" She suddenly shrieked. Her eyes now wide.

James couldn't believe it. He pushed her off and she began to wail.

"All of them. That whole group–poof. Gone. Just like that. I haven't seen my daughter in over twenty years. I haven't seen my sons either. " She then looked up and stopped talking.

"Cassedee?" Emily's voice got higher pitched. "James?" She tensed up, her voice growing quieter now.

"Where's Nole? And Ethan? You all were supposed to be here!" Her voice rose again

Cassedee cautiously took several steps forward, not wanting to provoke whatever this thing was. This was not her mother. Her mother had blonde hair and brown eyes. Her mother was short and sturdy. This woman was tall and thin. Brown hair, green eyes.

"Who–how–do you know me? And James? How do you know what happened to us?"

Emily looked at them with hollow eyes. "Because I was the one that made you disappear."