ELEVEN

Simon watched as Annabelle wrapped Eve's ankle. When she was done she assured Eve she'd be back on her feet in no time before standing and grabbing her supplies to walk towards the door when he stood.
"You can see her now." Annabelle told him. She gave him a pointed look before walking away.
Simon walked into the room where Eve laid in the bed staring out of the window. Her tear stained face still showed her beauty and he ached to reach out and stroke her face.
"Eve?" He spoke softly and she turned her head slowly to meet his gaze.
"Are you alright?"
"I should have known I couldn't escape him." Eve whispered.
Simon took a seat on the edge of the bed and took her hand in his.
"I won't let anything happen to you. You're free."
"For as long as he doesn't find me. There are laws that says he can take me back. I should have known." She choked on the last of her words before breaking into sobs.
Simon moved closer towards her pulling her into him where she cried on his shoulder. He held her there until her soft cries stopped before he pulled away and wiped away the damp strands of hair that had strayed away from her plait.
"You're safe here. You're safe with me."
"You can't guarantee that. No one can guarantee that."
Simon stared at her, their gaze holding before he swiped a thumb across her bottom lip. She bit her lip and he leaned in slowly, pressing his lips to hers. The kiss that engulfed between them ignited a cascade of sensations. Each kiss painted a portrait of longing, a melody of desire woven between them. Time stood still as they lost themselves in the sweetness of the moment, their souls entwined in a silent symphony of passion.
Simon was the first to pull away and Eve groaned. He caressed her face and smiled.
"You should rest. Annabelle will see to your care and have food sent up. I'll send word to let Mrs. Paulson know where you are."
Eve sat up at that moment, "Mrs. Paulson! She's been so kind. She'll be heartbroken if I'm taken away."
"No one is taking you anywhere. Now, rest." Simon ordered as he stood up from the bed. He raised the blanket up to her chin and then walked out of the room.
Downstairs, Simon found Annabelle cleaning off a table in the foyer when he approached her. He rubbed the back of his neck as he watched her clean, her back to him as she did.
"She'll be on her feet and ready to let you sweep her off of them in no time."
Annabelle said her back still turned to him. Simon sighed.
"She was running. From her master."
Annabelle turned then, her eyes widened, "she can't possibly go back."
"I won't let that happen." Simon assured.
"You can't possibly think you can protect her."
"I have to try."
Annabelle shook her head and turned back to fix the flowers on the table. She spoke but Simon quickly noticed she was talking to herself as she was talking in her native language.
"You've come to care for her." He said softly and he watched as she nodded her head.
"I had a daughter I had to leave behind when I came here. I like to think that she'd have grown to be a lot like Eve."
"You never told me that."
"You never asked."
Simon nodded, "I'll be in my study." He walked away muling over the information Annabelle had shared with him. So many broken families from this nasty system deemed slavery. How brokenhearted Annabelle must have been to leave her child behind. Simon wondered who Eve left behind.

Eve tiptoed downstairs. She'd been laying in bed for the past few days and was becoming restless. She reached the bottom of the stairs and looked around. It was dark, surely everyone had retired to bed. Having been sleeping most of the day she wasn't tired.
Being somewhat familiar of the layout of the house Eve walked aimlessly for a moment before happening upon the music room.
She stepped in and looked around before walking towards the piano. Her fingers skimmed the keys and she closed her eyes picturing her and Simon the day they danced in this same room. She smiled and with her eyes still closed she began the waltz, her arms out as if Simon were there and it was were just the two of them.
Eve gasped when she felt his hands on hers and she opened her eyes. Simon smiled as he moved with her. He was still fully dressed, his shirt sleeves pushed up to his elbows revealing strong forearms. The top button of his shirt was undone and his tie loosened around his neck. They continued to dance in silence before Eve found her voice.
"I thought everyone was asleep."
"I couldn't sleep. I was in my study when I caught a glimpse of you walking down the hallway."
"Sorry. I couldn't sleep myself. I walked the house aimlessly before I came here."
"No need to explain. How is your ankle?"
"Better. Thank you. Annabelle is a saint."
"I'm glad you're on the mend. Your dancing hasn't faltered."
Eve smiled and they twirled around the room once again in silence dancing only the music in their heads. When the dance finally came to an end, Eve went to pull away when Simon clamped on her hand.
"Is something wrong?" Eve asked.
"I want you to know that I won't let anything happen to you."
Eve sighed, "it's easy to say that until something happens. You can't keep me here forever, Simon. I must return to my duties."
"But what if I could? Would you stay?"
"I don't understand. Are you planning to keep me hostage here?"
"If it'll keep you safe."
Eve reached up and placed her hand on his bearded face. Simon grabbed her wrist and turned to kiss the inside of her palm.
"I care about you too much to let that man have you."
"I appreciate everything you've done for me. I can handle myself."
Simon wrapped his arm around her slim waist and pulled her towards him. Eve let out a breath and before she knew it Simon was placing his lips to hers.
Eve didn't fight it. She slowly reached her arms around his neck and shivered when something within him growled. Simon deepened the kiss between them. He undid the buttons on her blouse and pushed the fabric off her shoulders to reveal a cream colored shift.
"We should stop." Eve said before releasing a sigh when Simon's mouth took a nipple through the thin shift, his hands caressed her breasts and Eve thought she'd melt from the heat of it all. Never in her life had she known true passion. William certainly wouldn't have shown her.
"Feel what you do to me, Eve." Simon whispered and Eve stilled. She looked up into his eyes.
Green eyes.
Those words, she'd heard them before. She stepped away from him abruptly and watched as a frown formed on his face.
"It's late. I should head back to bed."
"Did I do something wrong?" Simon asked as she brushed past him towards the door. He touched her elbow and she turned to meet his gaze.
"It's just...well...oh, I should get to bed."
Eve raced from the room ignoring Simon's call for her to stay. She wiped at the tears threatening to fall and she climbed the stairs.