Chapter One - En Route Amsterdam

Start from the beginning

"If you ever need a friend to show you around, I'd be more than happy to," he said enthusiastically, and I was more than grateful for that because I knew no one there and I had a tough time making new friends.

We continued chatting for the next couple of hours and learned so much about each other. We just clicked. I found out that his birthday was on the day after mine, and he is also twenty-four. He had three more brothers, which made me envious because I was an only child. He said it's fun but not all "sunny skies," and they could be really irritating. Drew is the nicest stranger I've ever met.

I truly felt as if I had made a lifelong best friend, and at this point we exchanged numbers. If you weren't aware, I get attached to others very easily whether it's friendships or romantic interests. I could easily avoid heartbreak by keeping myself closed off, but I like to give others the benefit of the doubt, just as I would like to be treated.

I lost my previous best friend because she slipped and fell really hard on my ex-boyfriend's dick. I've forgiven them for my peace of mind, but I'll never forget. I wonder how some people's moral compasses work.

Anyways, enough of that. Drew and I took a nap at some point during the flight, and before we knew it, we were getting off the airplane and into Schiphol airport.

We said our goodbyes and he crushed me in a hug. I'm not one for hugs and physical touch unless it's my man – who's currently non-existent – but I didn't mind Drew. "See you around girly. Call me anytime."

I felt somewhat empty after having company for the past few hours. I exited airport and took a moment to absorb everything. It was chilly as the breeze struck my face, but it felt great. The air smelled amazing, saturated with fumes. I'm finally here, beginning a new journey. I took a taxi to my new home, which I had purchased previously to coming here. Well, my dad did.

He thought that having a home of my own would be more comfortable, therefore he didn't want me to rent. We argued slightly because I felt it was unnecessary. I didn't want to take advantage of my parents. We decided on an affordable property that wasn't too pricey, but I would have worked and paid the rent myself. Obviously, my dad won, and I was now standing in front of my new home.

I entered, shutting the gate behind me and had a look around the back yard and indoors. I loved how cosy it was. 

I face timed my parents because it had been roughly thirteen hours since I left them. My mum picked up and appeared exhausted from the screen.
"Hi baby," my mom smiled.

"Hello mum, I'm in the house. I'll pack tomorrow I'm tired," I told her.

"How do you like the place?" I heard my dad from somewhere in the background.

"It's very nice. Thank you so much."

My dad appeared on screen a couple minutes later in his working clothes. He sat next to mum and wrapped an arm around her.
"You should get an early night. We won't keep you back," mum told me.

"It is okay. I want to talk to you guys," I insisted. The Netherlands is six hours ahead of Panama and it was now around 19:20.

"How was work mum?"

"As usual, it was long, but I enjoy it."

My mum runs her own Indochinese restaurant. I think that's how she kept my dad because they say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. My mum grew up with nothing and she worked her way up to her current status. Before, she worked as a street food vendor and a dishwasher then got jobs in bigger establishments. Eventually, she earned enough money to open her own upscale restaurant.

"I'll head back to work when your father leaves," she told me. She was the boss so she could leave whenever she wanted to, though she does not take advantage of it.