𝐱𝐯𝐢. 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐭 𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐚 𝐛𝐚𝐧𝐠

Почніть із самого початку

"Nothing," he said. "Just good to be home."

                          °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

The next morning, we found out chariot races would be reintroduced, even with Tantalus gone.

Everybody in the stands were buzzing about the chariot race, though they kept checking nervously for Stymphalian birds.

It was a beautiful summer day, the sky was blue and there was plenty of sunshine.

This time, I was with the Athena chariot with Percy and Annabeth. Tyson had worked hard to upgrade the carriage with bronze reinforcements. The wheels were realigned, the horse rigging was so perfectly balanced that the team turned at the slightest tug of the reins.

Tyson also made us three javelins, each with three buttons on the shaft. The first button primed the javelin to explode on impact. The second button produced a blunt (but very painful) bronze spearhead to knock out people.
The third button brought up a grappling hook that could be used to lock onto an enemy's chariot or push it away.

I figured we were in pretty good shape for the race, but we were warned other campers had tricks up their sleeves.

Annabeth and I were waiting for Percy as he talked with Tyson.

"I'm so done with quests," I said as I examined my now healed scars from Polyphemus.

"Yeah," Annabeth sighed. Percy ran over and took the horses reins.

The signal for the race to start sounded and our chariot sped off.

"We've got 'em!" Percy yelled, but he spoke too soon.

"Incoming!" Annabeth yelled. She threw her first javelin in grappling hook mode, knocking away a lead-weighted net would've entangled us both.

The Apollo chariot had come up on our flank. Annabeth was still reloading her javelin so I threw mine at their wheel. It didn't fully break it, but it snapped some of their spokes.

The horses sped up and we were now neck and neck with Apollo. Hephaestus was coming up close behind. Ares and Hermes were falling behind, riding side by side as Clarisse went sword-on-javelin with Conor Stoll.

"You're mine!" The driver from Apollo yelled. He was a first-year camper. I didn't remember his name but he sure was confident. The fighter on their team was Ryder.

I picked up a javelin and threw it at the Apollo driver.

Surprisingly, my aim was perfect. The javelin knocked the driver out cold. Before Ryder could grab the reins, the horses felt the reins go slack and went crazy, heading straight for the crowd.

We were able to pass the starting line and thundered into the final lap.

The Hephaestus team was gaining on us.

Beckendorf grinned as he pressed a button on his command console. Steel cables shot out of the front of his mechanical horses, wrapping around our back rail. Our chariot shuddered as Beckendorf's winch system started working. It made him be pulled forward and we were pulled backwards.

Annabeth cursed and drew her knife. She hacked at the cables but they were too thick.

"I cant cut them!" She yelled.

The Hephaestus chariot was now dangerously close, their horses about to trample us underfoot.

I pulled out my sword and sawed at the cables. They were cutting but extremely slowly.

"Switch with me!" Percy told Annabeth. "Take the reins!"

"But—"

"Trust me!"

Annabeth pulled herself to the front and grabbed the reins. Percy came over and uncapped Riptide.

He slashed the cables and they snapped like it was a thread. We lurched forward, but Beckendorf's driver swung their chariot to the left and pulled up next to us. Beckendorf drew his sword. He slashed at Annabeth but I parried the blade away.

We were coming up on the last turn. We'd never make it. I needed to disable the Hephaestus chariot and get it out of the way.

We were neck and neck now, Clarisse coming up from behind, making up for lost time.

"See ya!" Beckendorf yelled. "Here's a little parting gift!"

He threw a leather pouch into our chariot. It stuck to the floor immediately and began billowing green smoke.

"Green fire!" I screamed.

"Get rid of it!" Annabeth shouted, but I couldn't. The Hephaestus cabin was still attacking us, waiting until the last second to make sure their present blew up.

I thought all hope was lost until Percy magically had a shield. Beckendorf's sword clanged against it and the blade shattered to pieces.

"What?" He shouted. "How—"

Percy cut him off by shoving him backwards off the chariot with his new shield.

Percy was still going at the driver but the Greek fire was shooting sparks now. I tried to pick it up and throw it but it just burnt my hands and it was super sticky somehow.

"Percy!" I yelled.

He stuck the tip of his sword under the pouch and flung it out of the chariot, spatula style. The only thing is, it landed in the Hephaestus chariot. The driver yelped and dove off of the chariot right before it blew up.

Annabeth pulled the reins for the last turn. I held on tight, sure we would capsize. Somehow she pulled through, the horses flew across the finish line. The crowd roared.

Once the chariot stopped, our friends mobbed us. They chanted our names but I yelled over the noise: "hold up! Listen! It wasn't just us!"

The crowd didn't want to be quiet so I yelled louder. "We couldn't have done it without somebody else! We couldn't have won this race or gotten the Fleece or saved Grover or anything! We owe our lives to Tyson, Percy's..."

"Brother!" Percy said, loud enough for everyone to hear. "Tyson, my baby brother."

Tyson blushed. The crowd cheered. Annabeth planted a kiss on my cheek. The roaring got a lot louder after that.

The entire Athena cabin lifted me, Annabeth, Percy and Tyson onto their shoulders and carried us towards the winner's platform, where Chiron was waiting to bestow the laurel wreaths.

@gracexeo , 2024