52) Five to One

||Harry||

"Possession with intent to sell, armed robbery, evading arrest, murder." Agent Logan lists off my charges again. 

I've been in this interrogation room with her for what feels like eternity. Realistically, it's probably been four hours.  After I was arrested, I was taken to the airport and flown to New York. The only thing I've said to her the entire time I've been here is that I want my lawyer, which she has ignored.

"Then we have the veterinary breaking and entering charges. I'm also working on aiding and abetting charges for your girlfriend. Oh, forgive me, it fiancé now. Maybe we can get you two matching his and hers jumpsuits."

I focus on my hands and try to ignore her feeble attempts to get a rise out of me. 

"You don't have a single thing to say for yourself?" she asks, voice low as she lowers her head until it's level with mine. "You've ruined her life and you have nothing to-" 

The door bursts open, stopping her mid sentence.

"Don't say another word." Lucy demands, slamming her brief case on the table. Vera walks in behind her glaring at Agent Logan. 

"Did you request your lawyer?" she asks me. I nod. "My son requested his lawyer and has been denied his call. He should have gotten two calls: one to his lawyer and one to his wife." 

Agent Logan stares at her blankly. The door is partially open and I can see Owen, Isaac and Arden waiting in the hall. Isaac has his arm around Arden, who looks like she's been crying the entire time I've been here.

"Senator, first, he's not your son-"

"Son in law." Vera interrupts.

"He's not that either. Not yet." Agent Logan counters. 

"Do you think the press is going to care about that detail? I don't know about you, but I've dealt with the press a lot. They're going to hear the words: senator, son, denied and rights and take off with them. The ACLU will be kicking down your door and I know how much the DEA loves the ACLU." Vera stares at Agent Logan and waits for a response. 

"Now if you'll let my family in on your way out, we'll over look this seemingly habitual violation of civil rights." Vera smiles as Agent Logan storms out of the interrogation room. Owen, Isaac and Arden file in and she immediately wraps her arms around me.

"Are you okay?" I ask 

"Are you okay?" she asks. 

"I'm exhausted." I answer honestly.

"Did you say anything to her?" Lucy asks.

"I only requested my lawyer. I know better than to say anything else."

"Okay. Lets get you out of here. After you've had some sleep, we'll discuss the game plan from here." Lucy answers. 

"I'll go see about posting bail." Vera starts. "Owen, if you can call ahead to the hotel and book a few more rooms, Isaac, we're going to need a cab and Lucy, you can come with me. We'll give you two a minute." 

"What did she say to you?" Arden asks me after everyone else has exited the room. 

"The standard stuff: I'm going to rot in jail and trying to get me to confess to things other than my charges. This isn't my first time in an interrogation room." I tell her. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Don't worry about me right now." 

"What happened after I left?" 

"I used the navigation system in Isaac's car to find their house, I had no idea where we were. I got back and told him what happened. He called Vera and Owen. Vera told us to go to the airport immediately, so we packed and went. She, Owen and Lucy met us JFK and then we came here after dropping our bags off at the hotel." she explains.