39) All These Things That I've Done

||Arden||

I watch the billboards and other cars flash by as we speed down the freeway. We've been driving for almost four hours, neither of us saying a word. I can't seem to organize my thoughts; I've had a lot to process in the last few days. I feel his hand on mine; I look down and watch him thread his fingers through mine.

"I'm going to fix this. I'll figure something out." he says to me as he raises his my hand to his lips and presses a light kiss to the back of it. 

"What are we going to do, Harry?" I ask, turning to face him. 

"Right now, we need to put some distance between us and Atlantic City." he answers keeping his eyes on the road, his fingers still tangled with mine. 

"And then after that?" I ask

"I don't know." he sighs. 

"Tell me everything. I want to hear it from you." I say, changing the subject. "Start with the day you came into the hospital."

"Uh, okay." he starts. "Zayn showed up on my doorstep that morning with the dog demanding I take him to the vet. The armory - that's a warehouse where we, they keep guns and other things Louis doesn't want kept at the casino - had been broken into the night before and he'd gotten hurt. So I took him to you and then I brought him back down to the casino."

"You left out the part were you caused a scene in the lobby." I interrupt. He glances over at me with a small smile.

"You heard about that?" 

"Everyone heard about that."

"Your receptionist is kind of a bitch."

"Melody? No, she's not. You just have a bad attitude." 

"Hey, whose story is this?" he jokes, poking my thigh. This feels like the way things were before. I know they're different now, but I just want to pretend. At least for right now. "Anyway, continue." 

"I guess after that you called and said you'd bring me his medications. Then we met up at the casino."

"And you were rude to me again." I interrupt. He glances at me out of the corner of his eye.

"And then I tried to get you to sleep with me and you shot down my best efforts." he interjects, returning his gaze to the road.

"That was your best effort?" I smirk

"Hey, I still got there in end, right?" he says winking at me. "Anyway, you pissed me off so I went home. I got called into Louis' office the next day and he assigned to start stealing ketamine from you. So I went back up to your office."

"Ah, yes. The day you made a bigger scene at the hospital."

"I wasn't happy about my assignment and you had pissed me off the night before." he defends.

"So trespassing, roses and Broadway tickets are the way to go?"

"Louis gave me the tickets."

"That explains a lot."

"We went to have coffee and then I got you to take me back to the hospital so I could steal my first ketamine delivery. Then after that I didn't see you again until we went to that terrible ABBA show."

"What were you doing while you were gone?" I ask.

"Do you really want to know?" he asks.

"Yes."

"I think that was when I went to that jewelry store with Liam and Sophia. Oh and I guess Mikey was there." 

"What did you guys do?"