Chapter 32: Unexpected Advice

Trigger Warning/s: quirk use reminiscent of self-harm methods, blood

Pre-chapter notes: Tamagoyaki is a Japanese rolled omelette that is typically included in Japanese lunchboxes (called bento or more formally, obento). It will be mentioned in this chapter.

Art: danielleruthart on Instagram! She is a wonderful, self-taught traditional artist that does lovely portraits of both animals and people. She also does commissions if anybody is interested!

.

.

.

"What are you doing here?" your voice rings out.

It is quiet in the hallway where you are standing, but Monoma looks at you like you're a criminal sneaking around in the night.

Though, it's probably justified. After all, everybody you know is already at the cafeteria for lunch, while you are here, lurking around the classrooms like a thief choosing a house to rob. Really, you had just wanted to find an empty classroom to practise making feathers out of blood. Every spare second matters to you - you never know when you might need such an ability.

That's not possible now though, with the way the blonde has accosted you. You don't suppose he'll have forgotten what transpired between the two of you the last time you had encountered each other either, where you had stained his hands with your blood...

Surprisingly, Monoma doesn't respond with much of his usual nerve, only huffing and turning up his nose at you. "Hm. I could ask you the same thing," he mutters, not meeting your eye.

Awfully suspicious of him.

"You're not going to eat with the others at the cafeteria?" you ask.

"Well-" he sputters, not sure how to explain his reasons. Truthfully, just minutes prior, Kendo had dragged him in the direction of your classmates to ask for your whereabouts, having pestered him for weeks now to apologise for how he had behaved towards you the last time you had met. When your peers had learned of this, they had enthusiastically joined Kendo in giving Monoma an earful about frightening you, causing the poor blonde to leave the cafeteria with a bubbling pit of frustration and guilt in his stomach (though, only a little bit, as he had told himself). "Kendo told me to apologise for last time," he grumbles. "So don't take this the wrong way."

Ah. So that was why he had lost much of his waspish tongue.

"Why do you need to apologise? I was the one who offended you with my blood-"

"Just accept the apology, dammit!" he screeches. Apart from the fact that he's flushed red from having to deliver such an embarrassing apology, he seems to be returning back to his usual, lofty self.

Yet, with the goal he had set out to accomplish now complete, Monoma does not leave. The two of you are at an impasse, with you wishing to be alone to work with your quirk, and him watching you inquisitively, waiting for a response.

It seems you are not going to lose him anytime soon. You do feel a little bad for wanting him to leave though, so maybe you should invite him to eat with you...

"Your apology is accepted," you declare, "and I am going to have lunch inside this empty classroom."

"What does that have to do with me?" he spits testily.

"Would you like to eat together?"

It is silent. You are prepared for Monoma to spurn your offer, to turn tail and flee from your presence, but instead, he mutters so quietly under your breath that you can barely hear it, "Fine. Whatever."