Chapter 20: No Such Thing as a Painless Lesson

Trigger Warning/s: strangulation

Pre-chapter notes: none

Art: Yumenoki on DeviantArt! They do a lot of beautiful digital art on people - a lot in fantasy settings. You'll see pirates, sirens, elves, demons, as well as historical settings and sci-fi concepts. You may recognise some characters they draw, such as Varus from League of Legends. I hope you enjoy their art!

.

.

.

By the time you and Todoroki reach the classroom, Midoriya has already returned from the infirmary, swarmed by the more excited portion of your classmates.

You avoid the crowd and instead head to the back of the classroom. You see Tokoyami there, so you assume that's the quieter area... or not, because upon closer inspection, Iida is there policing the bird boy's desk-sitting habits like he's apprehending a criminal for stealing.

Still, it seems quieter than whatever's happening at the front of the room, so you try to head there anyway.

"Oh! You're back, Chibana!" Kirishima, part of the rowdy crowd, notices you trying to sneak away. "What took you so long out there?"

Damn it, Kirishima-san. You turn to him politely. "I was talking to Todoroki-san."

The redhead beams. "Nice! Come and join us! Her match was pretty crazy too, wasn't it, guys?" he says, turning to the rest of the group.

Asui, Ashido, Midoriya, and one other boy with very thick lips turn their heads to look at you - a spotlight cast on an actor, a lens focused on a subject. It yields a cautious step back from you.

"Yeah! I didn't expect you to start swinging from the ceiling, to be honest!" The unknown boy beams. "I don't think we've met before!". He turns to you clenching a fist excitedly. "I'm Satou!"

With a polite nod of your head, you acknowledge him. "I am Chibana Chiyo. Thank you for your compliments."

Midoriya stares dejectedly. "I was in the infirmary so I didn't get to see everyone's matches..."

"Cheer up, Midoriya!" Ashido pats him on the shoulder hard enough to give him a nosebleed. "You'll see us fight another time!"

Blood starts trailing out of his nostril. "I'm not totally recovered yet, Ashido..."

"Ah! I'm sorry, Midoriya!"

Then suddenly, Midoriya's blood starts ignoring the force of gravity, swirling into shapes, diffusing and contracting, until his nose is no longer bleeding and there's a him-shaped thing hovering in front of his left palm. To your distaste, everybody's attention is once again on you.

"I sealed up the blood vessel... and made you a gift. Get well soon."

The broccoli boy sweatdrops, making a mental note to dispose of the creation later. "A-ah... thank you..."

"You are welcome."

Satou laughs heartily. "Your quirk is awesome, Chibana! It's hilarious!"

"It is?"

After a few more minutes of conversation, a tired lull in the chatter blankets the classroom.

And with that, everyone decides it's time to head home.

.

.

.

In the absence of bustling students like a frantic ant colony, the school grounds are awfully serene. A cool spring breeze susurrates through your hair as you observe the finely carved pillars, rounded ridges sculpted into its side. The columns' ionic capitals peer down at you, a reminder of UA's prestige, power, and affluence.