forty-two

A SIMILAR SORT OF RUIN

"(Y/N), no!" Atticus screams.

A heavy sense of power pulses through the air, rustling the grass turned inky with shadow. The sun dims in the sky, its light useless against the otherworldly darkness that swathes the training field.

Silence hangs in the icy atmosphere.

"What have you done?" he sobs. "Why? Why did you do this?"

(Y/N) breathes a long inhale, her amber eyes brightening with strength. Wisps of darkness sink into her translucent skin, running up her veins like spilled ink, spreading their shadows through her blood. The air ripples with waves of her power.

Atticus trembles, pushing himself away. His eyes glisten behind their tears, shimmering with lavender light. "What—? What happened to you?"

Tilting her head, (Y/N) flexes her fingers. Flames spark at her nails before dissolving into her skin.

"What happened to me?" Her voice echoes with whispers a thousand times over, emanating the forces of an earthquake and the rumble of a thunderclap. "Nothing happened."

A sinister edge sharpens her words, a white fire burns in her eyes. Gold creeps into her veins, forcing away their darkness. Her energy intensifies, rolling into Atticus with the force of her fury.

"This is just who I am."

His eyes droop shut as he collapses.

— x —

The air was static with fear.

As Percy weaves through the campers rushing for weapons or safety, his skin tingles with humidity. Clouds darken and swarm overhead. Thunder cuts through the sky, echoed by the screech of an eagle.

"Perce!" Grover exclaims, rushing up to his side. He grabs Percy's elbow, trying to keep up with his brisk pace. "What's going on?"

Percy huffs. "We're getting a visitor."

"Oh, shit." Grover's eyes widen, and he glances to the sky.

As they approach the clearing, Riptide forms in Percy's hand. The weapon's hilt sends vibrations through his palm, rippling within his muscles as they tense. He scans the area, feeling his power heighten with the vapor that suffocates the air.

Annabeth looks over from where she speaks with Will and Nico. Her jaw tightens as wind whips her hair across her cheeks. One of her hands tightens around her dagger. Atticus clutches the other.

Percy and Grover head her way. The son of Poseidon barely acknowledges how Atticus flinches with the sense of his nearing proximity. "Where's (Y/N)?" Percy asks, the earth rumbling with his words.

Nico turns his face to the sky, frowning. He shifts, adjusting himself just behind Atticus.

Atticus presses closer to Annabeth. The daughter of Athena shakes her head. "I don't know."

Screams echo through the camp as a bolt of lightning shoots for the ground. Grass shrivels, a few flames sparking, and the clearing becomes overtaken by white light. Percy shields his eyes, squinting at the silhouettes that appear.

Campers gasp and huddle together as the king of Olympus steps forward. Armor rings with his movement. Behind him, Ares rests his longsword on his shoulder, displaying a large ruby at the end of the hilt. The gem glints in the mouth of a silver skull. He scans the faces of the half-bloods, and his children falter, the hold on their weapons loosening.