thirty-nine

A SINGLE THREAD

"Are you sure nothing bad is going to happen?"

In response, (Y/N) tilts her head at Percy. His eyebrows knit with worry as he looks at her, his lips somewhat pursed. She pats his chest in reassurance.

"I told you," she says, offering him a smile, "I swore on the Styx not to reveal any information about Camp Jupiter to people who weren't already aware of its existence. I gave you a couple of hints to figure it out, but they weren't related to the camp, specifically. You technically pieced that much together on your own."

Percy sighs with relief. He shifts, allowing (Y/N) to rest her head back on his shoulder. With their movements, the hammock holding them sways.

"That's good," he says, adjusting the arm around (Y/N)'s shoulders to a more comfortable position. She hums in agreement, nuzzling closer. "Although, I'll be honest, I was totally bullshitting it. Nothing sounded true to me."

"Annabeth'll be so disappointed."

"Ugh, tell me about it."

(Y/N) laughs. Percy smiles down at her.

They had spent the entire night in Percy's hammock, holding each other and watching the stars over the lake and talking about what had happened in their time apart. (Y/N) had to provide multiple assurances that she wasn't in constant danger until right before her return to Camp Half-Blood; and Percy had to promise that despite his desires to do nothing other than kill monsters, he had still been taking care of himself.

He had listened intently to (Y/N)'s recount of the orphanage—the letters and journal belonging to someone who could only have been her father, the way the new data could entirely debase the story she'd grown up believing. She didn't want to look into it, even though she knew she had to. With the dragon's attack on Atticus, she had to prioritize.

Besides, upending everything she had understood about her history was not something she was keen on.

So much is going on, she'd said, exhausted and upset. I don't even know what to look at first.

Percy had kissed the top of her head, holding her tighter. We'll figure it out. One thing at a time, and together.

All she wanted was to freeze the moment for eternity. When she was in his arms, gazing at the shifting galaxy as his heartbeat pressed against her ears. When the little boy was asleep in her cabin, locked away from the dangers of the world and the wrath of the gods. When everything was calm, quiet, kind.

But time moves on. The horizon begins to lighten, gold chasing the inky night out of the distance.

(Y/N) sighs. "Good morning, Blue," she says.

His chest rumbles with a light chuckle. "Good morning, darling."

She holds him tighter. "I should go. I don't want Atticus to panic if he wakes up alone." Still, she stays put. Percy kisses the top of her head.

"I'll tell the others that you're back," he murmurs against her hair. "When you're taking him to Chiron."

(Y/N) hums in acknowledgement. She doesn't move.

Percy drums a light rhythm against her shoulder. "We'll have time," he promises, squeezing. "To make the rest of it up."

With a long exhale, she loosens her grip. "I know."

The hammock sways as she begins to pull away. Percy rests his hand on the small of her back, hoping to steady her. Sitting, with her feet planted on the floor, she turns as Percy sits up. She strokes his undergrown beard, pinching his chin and frowning in contemplation.