two

NECESSARY  VARIABLES

Hades recently discovered that if he could effectively jump off of a cliff to escape the torments that came with helping other beings, he would.

"'Hades, do this'; 'Hades, do that'; 'Hades, carry these gargantuan books up a thousand flights of stairs and don't use your powers because they're delicate and blah, blah, blah'," he grumbles, his cheek pressed against the side of a stack of tomes to watch where he steps. "'Of course, Hecate'; 'You're welcome, Hecate'; 'Oh, no, not a bother at all, Hecate'; 'It's not like I have a life, Hecate, I don't mind.'"

He grunts upon approaching the meeting chamber's double doors, hefting the books up slightly and shifting more of their weight onto his shoulder as he leans back. Carefully, he pushes a door open with his foot, hopping slightly on his one leg before squeezing through the small opening. He lets out a deep breath of relief when back on both feet, pausing once he notices the argument that has ensued.

Unsurprising to him, Poseidon is at the center of it all.

"How dare you?" Persephone roars.

Hera follows with a crazed, "Are you insane?"

"We cannot intervene, Poseidon, you know that," Zeus seethes.

Poseidon laughs, their anger barely affecting him. "We could have gotten rid of the problem for good!" he says, more incredulous at their reactions than anything else. "How do none of you realize that?"

"You'll only have angered them more, you imbecile!" Demeter exclaims, her words instantly supported by the others.

Hades steps forward, still peeking around the giant collection of books in his arms. "What happened, here?"

Persephone turns to her husband, eyes wild and enraged. She points accusingly at Poseidon, explaining: "He just tried to drown my daughter!"

"You what?" Hades shouts, dropping the books.

Hecate gasps, her magic catching them just in time. She shoots a fiery glare at Hades, who is too busy storming towards his brother to care.

"Hades!" Hestia tries to pull him away, but he easily shrugs off her grip.

Poseidon's face finally reflects an ounce of fear at the sight of the god in front of him, and he backs away until pressed against the wall. Hades' eyes gleam the color of blood, his veins rushing black, as smoky wings and horns of shadow frame his figure. When he speaks, his voice is that of his demonic form—an echoing, distant rumble that shakes the walls surrounding them.

"Give me one reason why I shouldn't tear you to shreds."

Poseidon's spine remains straight, but he tries to take a small step back until his heel hits the stone behind him. "I was going to get rid of her before she tried to bring back our father. She poses a threat to Olympus. Did you really expect me to stand by?"

"No, but I know that I'm now willing to when she comes to kill you. If she wasn't set on it before, she certainly is after this."

"I nearly eliminated the problem, Hades."

"Don't you dare refer to her as a problem," Hades says, the shadows that sprout from his shoulders and skull almost begging to solidify. "You're the one who's caused it, now."

Poseidon scoffs, the action somewhat forced, and Hades takes pride in the slight quiver in his brother's voice. "She's an enemy, Hades. A threat. You just care too much about her to realize it."

The king tilts his head. "You would think," he starts, his voice softer now, more deadly, "that out of all of us, you would know the most about caring for a child."