sixteen

A TWISTED BATTLE OF TUG-OF-WAR

The salty air stings (Y/N)'s cheeks as she storms onto the beach, her eyes squinted against the wind that picks up sand to cut at her ankles. Her hair whips at her temples with the force of the breeze as she turns, making sure that the torches of Camp Half-Blood's main pavilion are out of sight. Her skin tingles with discomfort at the humidity that nearly suffocates her, the ocean waves stretching out on the sand—instinctively, she steps away, putting more distance between herself and Poseidon's domain.

The moonlight over the cliff casts a large shadow over her, the girl's lone figure blocked from view of the camp. She clenches her fists, flexing and tightening her fingers to reassure herself of her decision.

"Hecate!" she calls to the sky, her voice quickly swallowed by the silent expanse of night.

The waves lull, the wind whistles, and the darkness thrums with power.

The pricking of goosebumps on her skin notifies her of her summoned arrival. Divinity electrifies the air around her as (Y/N) turns to face the cloaked goddess, who bows her head.

"How may I be of assistance, (Y/N)?" Hecate asks, her eyes gleaming a vivid green in the shadows.

The daughter of Persephone crosses her arms, her teeth gritted. "What the hell is happening to me?"

Hecate tilts her head, an eyebrow arched with curiosity. "I'm not sure what you mean."

"Really?" (Y/N) scoffs, disbelieving.

"You were the one who asked for the gods to refrain from strictly monitoring the likes of you. I have done my best to honor your wishes." Hecate steps forward, her hands clasped in front of her. Her tall figure prompts (Y/N) to tilt her head up slightly to meet her eye, emerald light illuminating her features. "What is the matter, (Y/N)? How can I help?"

(Y/N) swallows, and she takes a shaky inhale. "That power you gave me," she starts, watching Hecate's eyes flicker with interest, "that all of you gave me—it's doing something. I keep having these episodes where- where I just . . . go into shock and am totally overwhelmed by pain. And it all stems from right here." She lifts her hand to the pit of her neck, tapping it, and Hecate's face falls with dread for the briefest moment. "So I need to know what's happening and how I can stop it."

Hecate's knuckles tremble as her hands clasp each other with growing force, the sorceress' face suddenly void of emotion. (Y/N) stiffens at the change in her expression, noticing it all too well as one of her own.

A serious face was always better at delivering troubling news than an emotional one.

"It seems," Hecate begins, her words careful, "that your soul is locked in a battle." (Y/N)'s face sees barely any change, but her eyes widen slightly. "Your inherent power wants control, so the new power is being restricted. The new power feels out of place in your body, so the inherent power is being changed to accommodate. Neither is familiar or comfortable with the other. As a result, it is hurting you."

(Y/N)'s arms fall loose, her brow furrowing. "So what do I do?" she asks, a tiny quiver of concern in her words.

"Find the balance," Hecate says, her simple answer making the girl tense with frustration. "It is all you can do."

"And how do I do that?"

The goddess sighs, her shoulders loosening with apology. "That, I do not know. But you have done it before."

Shaking her head, (Y/N) looks across the water. The breeze sends a chill into her eyes, and reflexive tears prick at her lower lids as she squints. "I didn't even want this," she says, repeating the protest she had given during the very ritual. "You didn't tell me what I was signing up for."